New chicken farmer from Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by farmeroak, Feb 8, 2014.

1. farmeroak

farmeroak New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Hello everyone. I am new to raising chickens. I would like any info that anyone can pass on to make this a great experience. I was thinking about getting Mt Healthy Barred Plymouth Rock, Babcock White Leghorn, and Araucanas for there colorful eggs. Can I put these three breads together. Does any one have pros and cons about any of them. Thanks Farmeroak.

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

First of all [​IMG]! Second you should join us on the Louisiana La-yers thread! We are a fun bunch and you will likely find someone close enough to you to direct you to the best places to get chickens and supplies.

There should be no reason to not run those breeds together, but just MAKE SURE you are buying what you are looking for if you are interested in Araucanas. Most people do not know the differences between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers, and virtually all hatcheries and most local breeder will be ignorantly selling Easter Eggers as purebred Ameraucanas and Araucanas. Please read over this link if you do not know the differences:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

3. farmeroak

farmeroak New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks how do I join your thread. Like I said I am brand new to this site and not so good with computers.

4. Mifflin

Mifflin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    I am not sure about mt. healthy, but Ideal poultry (located in Texas) will let you mix and match different breeds and their prices are good. I just got a batch in from them faverolles and a white leghorn. This was the first time I got some through the mail and am happy with them. You can put all those breeds together with no problem, however the breeds you picked can have some very aggressive roosters and some dominate hens from what I was told by friends of mine that have them. If your chickens are not free range you will need to buy oyster shell or food with it or some type of grit in it. I could go-on and on about tips that I just learned along the way, the only regret I have is that I didn't get chickens sooner! They are really easy to raise more self sufficient than a pet cat in my opinion and they feed YOU back. Hope this info was helpful and welcome to BYC.

5. farmeroak

farmeroak New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    thanks will be there in a minute

6. farmeroak

farmeroak New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks for the info.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Check out the Learning Center for great information

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC! I would think these breeds will do just fine together. And as Drumstick Diva mentioned, you might want to do some reading in the learning center here on BYC for some tips and hints on keeping your new flock...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by