New chicken farmer HELP!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenchany, Jun 21, 2016.

1. chickenchany

chickenchany New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Hey guys! I recently decided to branch out and become a new chicken owner and have currently 4 baby chicks! Right now I'm feeding nature wise chick starter grower from Nutrena (& so far I do love the Nutrena product) but as they are getting older I'm wanting to see if I should stay on nature wise or if it would be better to switch to an organic/ non GMO feed for egg production? Price is a little bit of an issue, but starting out I want to keep the eggs and hopefully start to sell them, so for that reason I want to make sure they are a good quality egg! Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Type of feed used is basically a personal matter of choice.

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Sourland is right. Its completely personal preference. Most poultry feeds are specifically designed for poultry so they contain all the vitamins and minerals birds need. So saying one is better than another will generally spark a debate that will last for decades lol. Most people I've talked to base their feed choice on their budget. If you only have a few birds and don't use a lot of feed. A person can feed a higher priced "name brand". Personally I feed about 100 pounds a day so I feed the cheapest I can find "the local feed mill" with some sunflower seed and conditioner pellets added in for a little extra something. Some birds however may eat one brand better than another. They may like crumbles over pellets. I'd say trial and error is the best path to take when starting out.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey @chickenchany ! I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC! I would like to welcome you with open arms! Yes this site is very helpful for all chicken related things! Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center For your raising baby chicks needs follow this link for that forum that has a bunch of threads and it is always available for you to make new ones. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates I hope you and your new chicks do great and enjoy the Summer!
    Justin [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by