New Chicken Farmer

foxhunter66

Hatching
Oct 25, 2015
Rustburg
Hi everyone! I am new to the whole world of chickens. My family (grandparents, great uncles, etc) grew up on working farms and dealt extensively with chickens as well as other livestock. I myself wasn't fortunate enough experience that growing up as our family farm was sold off when my grandfather passed when I was a young tike. However, I now have me a nice piece of agricultural property and find myself head over heels for chickens. Last year my wife and I got our first chicks. What started as 6 chicks (production reds) quickly grew to 12 as we found a Delaware breeder and got 6 more. We've found this site quite helpful with a lot of knowledge and our general go to for when we have questions. What took off as a small hobby has now quickly grown into a small scale chicken farming operation.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It sounds like your farm is coming on very well indeed. Flocks do tend to have a habit of growing!! Mine did too :D
It's great to hear you found BYC so helpful, it really has all the info you need to keep your flock happy safe and healthy.

Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Welcome to BYC!

Like you, my father's side of the family all lived on a working farm in Virginia. During WWII, my father met my mother. They married after the war and settled down in NY. While I grew up in the suburbs, we used to visit the farm for a week or so every summer. I loved it! (Always wished I was raised and worked on a farm.) So, 20 years ago, I bought 15 acres here in PA. We have chickens, too. I would love to raise some other animals, but with my regular job, I just can't swing it. I'm hoping after I retire, I can get some pigs and goats.

Enjoy the forum. Lots of great info and great people.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to bYC. Its great that your interest in keeping chickens has morphed into a business! I wish you all the best and look forward to reading future posts.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

Chickens are addictive, but fun and interesting too. I'm glad you are enjoying them.

Make yourself at home here!

Back
Top Bottom