1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicken Feeders! :) Check them out!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GypsyChick89, Jan 2, 2015.

1. GypsyChick89

GypsyChick89 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    I have been having a problem with my ladies dumping out their food, and lots of waste of their crumbles and what ever other types of grains I feed. So I though I would share my NEW feeder! I saw this on pintrest awhile back and thought I need to try this! So for one of my Christmas presents my mom built me this beauty! IT WORKS GREAT! It seems to me that the girls are less frantic about eating and I'm hoping will lessen the aggressive behavior and stop the picking on one another. I was bringing food out twice aday for them and it was always buried or pooped in, tipped out ect, and now it's off the ground there is little to no waste and I bring food out about every 3 days or so.

2. GypsyChick89

GypsyChick89 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Looks great! Glad to hear it is making for a happier flock and flock owner.

I would suggest that you securely cover up the holes at night (both the fill hole at the top and the eating hole at the bottom). To keep mice and other rodents out. If a mouse were to crawl into the top of the feeder, it would not be able to crawl back out and would die, contaminating the feed. And they can make quite a dent in your feed if the eat out of the feed hole, not to mention the diseases they can carry in their droppings.

4. tav1

tav1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    kinda like that system , you can get a tube for your feed,grit,shells ect.... save space also.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Put a tray, like a cafeteria tray, under there for a few days...watch them as they eat and see how much crumble you see on it.

This has been the only feeder I've found to be truly no waste....they cannot bill and food out of it and it holds more than enough for my 15 birds to eat in 24 hours, 4-5-6 birds can eat at once..... I love it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  6. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Both of those feeders look great! [​IMG]

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    What is the thing in the middle?Or are you just filling in the bottom of the bucket?

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by