New Chicken Gal in Arkansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ede23chic, Jul 7, 2016.

1. ede23chic

ede23chic New Egg

May 9, 2016
    Hello! I am a kinda of new chicken owner in Arkansas. I finally talked my husband into letting us get some chickens! I grew up with goats, chickens, ducks, and horses but I have never had my own and my parents sold most of our animals by the time I was a teenager.. I wanted to give my own kids and myself the opportunity to raise animals that serve a purpose!

We are the proud new owners of 8 chickens! They were 2 days old when we brought them home, and they are now 9 weeks. So many lessons and funny moments! I work in nursing education and love to learn and teach others. These chickens have been so much fun, and I had no clue how much I was going to learn in just a few short weeks! Best lessons, point their rears away from your lap! 15 year old son's best lesson, wear your shoes in the chicken coop (BOYS)!!

We have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Marans, 2 Easter Eggers, and 2 Polish Crest. They were suppose to all be pullets, but one of our Barred Rocks is definitely a Roo!

I am always trying to get a good group shot, but taking pictures of chickens is hard!!
    [​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    :welcome - glad that you have joined us and congrats on your new flock!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre to help jog your memory -
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. 

You may wish to consider joining your state thread  as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Welcome to BYC! You've come to the right place. The community is always happy to help answer any questions or tackle any issues you run into. I too was amazed at how much these birds have to teach us and becoming a chicken owner has been one of the best decisions I've ever made. Barred rocks are a great breed for first timers! Do study up on puberty if you are going to keep the male. You need to be able to tell the difference between bullying and the rooster asserting his dominance over the flock (which he WILL do). Cockerels can sometimes be overly aggressive during puberty while their hormones are raging.

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] One of our barred rocks turned out to be a roo, too! Thanks for joining us!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by