New chicken has broken and missing feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dragonkeeper, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Dragonkeeper

Dragonkeeper New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Mexico, Missouri
    Hello!
    I'm fairly new to having chickens. After finding out the hard way I can't let them free-range I had only two barred rocks left, and so I jumped at a craigslist post offering two silver laced chickens for free. This is what I brought home, a very handsome rooster, Stu, (Who may likely be getting a name change because naming a rooster 'stew' juts seems so wrong to me... [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

...And Molly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This poor little gal is this way because of the four roosters, I was told, but I think she was majorly picked on. This looks so painful, and I'd like to know what I can do, and what I need to do to help this poor girl out!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, to help her heal, just keep her away from any more obnoxious roosters. Give her high-protein foods (insects, scrambled eggs, etc) to help her grow the feathers back in. If another chicken injures the bare areas, put some antibiotic ointment on. This is really all you can do.

3. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    her missing feathers are from to many roosters being with her..she needs to be away from all roosters for a few months to grow her feathers back...this could be a deadly situation if you dont care for it soon...she needs to be separated, and on a high protein diet...you may also want to look into getting a hen saddle if you plan on keeping her with other hens...but no matter where you put her she needs to be away from all roosters. I would also recommend dusting them with DE or Permethrin dust just to be sure they dont have lice or mites dust them really well once per week for 3 weeks to get rid of any mites or lice they may have.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Dragonkeeper

Dragonkeeper New Egg

Aug 20, 2013
    Mexico, Missouri
    Is there anything other than Blukote that might help her to heal/feel better? I'm asking in case the Orschlen's doesn't have it.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Get her away from any roosters. Her feather loss is not necessarily because of pecking; it is because she has been mated too many times by roosters. If you don't isolate her from any roosters, at least get a hen saddle. Blue-kote is good to help prevent the other chickens from pecking at the exposed flesh (chickens love to peck at red) and injuring her more, but if you can't find it, then try to disguise the skin/discourage picking some other way. I believe that some people use pine pitch, or you could cover the wound or try something else that is brightly colored, like mustard. Also, as other people have mentioned, feed her high protein foods (scrambled eggs, mealworms, wet cat food, etc.) to help her grow back in the lost feathers.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by