New chicken has eye infection...I think

nicoleelizabeth

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
Saint Louis
Our new chicken has some soft, white tissue around her eyes and it smells like an infection- you know, sort of rancid. The woman we got her from two days ago swears she is healthy, but I don't know if she knows what she's talking about. I thought maybe the feathers were just still growing in, but the entire circumference of the eyes are crusty. Please advise on how to treat. I have contacted the woman and figure if she doesn't return the email, then she just got rid of a sick chicken to an unsuspecting family. I'm not sure what to do or if it's contagious or if there's a problem at all! Help!

It sounds like coryza to me. Has she been exposed to any of your other birds? It really isn't anything you want to have spread to a main flock.

You can search for coryza here, or maybe threehorses or one of our other experts will chime in.

-Cindy

I did a search on that, but the eyes aren't swollen shut. It's just white and crusty on this chicken and nothing like I saw on the internet. Any other possibilities? The woman I got her from was very forthcoming and didn't think she had anything wrong. Could it just be that there are feathers growing in? But that doesn't explain the caked and crusty gunk around the feathers of her eyes.

I just thought coryza because you mentioned a rancid smell. I've never had it in my birds but people here who have encountered it said you'd never forget the smell!

Is there any way you can get a picture? That may help someone diagnose it.

I have several birds who are in various stages of molting and none have crusty eyes, so there probably is some sort of infection going on.

-Cindy

Here are a few pictures...and there's no puss or fluid from the eye, just crusty gunk underneath. It's that sort of brownish colored...do you see it around the eye? She's eating, drinking, roaming, and there's no coughing/wheezing/sneezing happening.

The eyes don't have to be swollen shut. That only comes when the disease is in full swing. Sounds like your new hen is just starting. If it smells I would treat for corza or cull her. I hope you quarantined her from the rest of your flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2835837

suggested
reading for you. Isolate that bird you got first off.....Then contact your State Department of Ag. on Monday for some tests!

You really don't want coryza. I praise the Lord we've not had it. We practice extreme biosecurity.

Please read the post above carefully. If you do find you have coryza, please follow the State Dept. of Ag guidelines.

Take care and hope this was helpful.

Back
Top Bottom