New chicken has gunky swollen eye - help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by moody-chicken, Mar 5, 2013.

1. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    I brought home 4 new bantam chickens on Saturday. This morning I noticed one of the light Sussex bantams had a gunky, squinty eye. The other eye is fine and bright. She never had this when we picked her up.She seems less active than the others but not sickly so, she just doesn't run as fast and she gives up and lays down if cornered. She also wheezes when I pick her up, like heavy wheezy breathing. I thought this was just her panicking at first but maybe it's a respiratory issue? Does anyone know what this could be? I thought maybe just an eye infection but the slight lethargy and the wheezing is worrying me a bit. Any ideas? They are new chickens so stress could be a factor.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  2. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    It sounds like a respiratory infection. Look it up in the search for treatment options, I bet you need some antibiotics and separate her from the others asap until she is better. these things can pass from one chicken to another

3. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    Ok thanks. We've separated and got antibiotics but I don't think she's going to make it, she's not eating and is very sullen and puffed up. Do you think I have any chance of getting the farm I got her from on Saturday to supply a healthier hen?

4. etammy

etammy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    I would think they should, but beware all their hens may be ill. Keep the new hen separted for a bit to see how everyones health is. Good luck

5. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    Well they are all showing signs of illness now and the Tylan hasn't worked as they've gone off food/water. I rung my vet but they seemed annoyed with me and said they don't deal with chickens. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my first flock of chickens and I was really chuffed with them. I was hoping to have around 6 pekins by next month, looks like ill be starting over. I feel awful, the girls are just huddled in a corner and there's nothing I can do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by