New Chicken House and run - ideas welcome

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KathyG, Aug 16, 2011.

1. KathyG

KathyG New Egg

Aug 15, 2011
    Hello, I am new to this forum. I have been looking at all the impressive coops and houses that have been built, with a view to getting started on new quarters for my family of chickens. I have about 60 bantams + 3 guinea fowl, 9 peafowl, 3 dogs, 12 cats, 12 large Koi and a zillion goldfish + plus the obligatory grumpy husband, who complains that in the 40 years of my chicken keeping he has never had a chicken dinner from the flock. Of course not, I keep them for the eggs, and the girls too old to lay become honorary inmates of the resident retirement home for chickens. By arrangement, the roosters are moved to a farmer's cowshed in the nearby area where they keep the pest larvae under control and lead a free range life. Anyway, my present run has been added on to many times and is a splendid example of African ingenuity and making the most of any left over bits of building material that come to hand. I am looking for something suitable for our weather conditions - no cold or snowy winters, but now it seems with plenty of rain. Any suggestions? P.S. only the chickens need the housing, the rest plus the grumpy husband are free range.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    well it is fantastic to have you here on board with us, for new Ideas about coops and runs, I can't find anything (i think it is new) and not find it on BYC [​IMG]

3. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] welcome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by