New chicken in large coup 145 sq feet, still getting pick on!

minge

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
We have a large coop for 3 hens. We just introduced the new hen 2 days ago and one of the hens is getting progressively more aggressive. Picking her, keeping her from roosting with her and keeping her out of the hen house. There is plenty of room for them to have their own space. I just do not know if we should separate them? When is aggressive too aggressive? I'd like to just see how it goes and hope they get along better soon.

Your aggressive chicken needs a "time out!"......We have a dominant hen that would keep the little gals outside and just basically rule the roost. The little gals would just stay out of her way; then one day it rained really hard and my husband saw the little ones standing outside in the rain. When he investigated he found "Sam" chicken barring the door! She got a swift time out. Placed her in the segregation area of the coop. She could see all the babies running around in the coop, but she had to sit in time out. Yes, she was mad!!! She stayed there all day (at least 7 hours). She has not done that again!! Time out rearranges the "pecking" order. We expected to have to keep her segregated longer, but she is a smart chicken and learned fast.

it depends on many factors....
size of all hens invoved, and how you introduced her to the others.

I added 2 hens to my flock after housing them next to each other for over a month (after Quarentine). I waited for darkness on my chosen day, used a small flash light to see the hens. then scooped them up put the min the dark hen house. It worked worked great.
there was a few small squabbles but it only was normal pecking order stuff. Not the intruder kill it stuff.

We hatched some new girls and when they were about a month old we tried to introduce them to the older, bigger girls. The older girls immediately jumped onto the younger, smaller girls and proceeded to beat them up. We quickly saved them and put them back in their own little box. I wanted to put them out side so they could get used to the cooler weather before winter arrives so I cross fenced my run and built them their own little house. They visit with the bigger girls through the cross fencing and they all seem to be getting used to each other. I am planning on waiting until they have grown as big as the others before I mix them together again. Should be only a month or so I think.
By the way, this site is addicting. I used to visit my Facebook regularly but now I have lost interest in all those friends. If you ain't talking chickens I'll find someone who is.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom