new chicken jail

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ke5hde, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    After these 3 girls lived in a dog box for a week I decided it was time to build them a new house.
    Total cost out of pocket was $57.
    The story is when we bought them there were 6. Got them home and did a quick look. Full of mites and lice.
    Did a dusting of sevin dust immediately. Lost 1 that night. Started to notice a foul stench from them and noticed a little cough here and there. Started dosing them with sulmet and lost 2 more in the next 2 days. So these are the 3 Polish pullets left of the 6. They're getting better although 2 still have an eye closed but that seems to be getting better too.

[​IMG]

2. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    Wow! That's a really good deal! Nice job!

3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

fabulous job on your 'chicken jail'! It looks really nice and I'm going to keep that in mind if I ever need to quarantine- it was a cheap build! I'm really sorry about your polish babies that died. I hope the rest will continue to do better. [​IMG] Question... what are the legs made of on your chicken hutch? Is that wood, or metal?? Doesn't look like 2X4's??

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

"Foul stench" might be coryza- they might become asymptomatic carriers of it. Please rule this out before blending them with your other flocks. Here is a helpful link:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Very nice hutch, BTW!

P.S. Don't forget to retreat for the mites/lice- I'd personally do it every week until GONE!!!
    Here is a link that tells you when to retreat though (life cycle of N.F. mites is only 4 days):
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Also- there is an egg withdrawal time for dusting- you can ask if you can't find the link or do a search on BYC for sevin withdrawal just in case they are laying.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    The legs are actually just 2x2s. Added as an afterthought. Wanted it off the sawhorses.

Thanks for the link. That may be their problem. Will they ever be able to join the rest of the flock?
    Chris

Definately not laying maybe 5-7 weeks old and they were redusted today before they moved in. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  6. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    nice job [​IMG]

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG]

8. ke5hde