New Chicken keeper

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by emilyalmhjeld, Mar 30, 2017.

1. emilyalmhjeld

emilyalmhjeld New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Hey, guys! I am getting my new chickens, ducks, and guineas soon. I have a few questions first. I will be getting 4 Speckled Sussex, 4 Buff Orpington, 4 Buff ducklings, and 4 guinea keets.
    Am I able to brood them all in the same container? I think I can, but my main concern with this is will any of them end up getting bullied?
    Can I feed the guineas the same thing I feed the ducks and chickens? (Chick starter and then chicken feed)
    When should I start free ranging each bird?
    What should I medicate each bird for? I would like to make sure they all stay healthy. They are for eggs, as we will not be butchering them.
    Thank you!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    It is recommended that you do not brood ducks with land fowl as ducks make their bedding wet faster than anything else. Also to make it easier for you I would recommend you get Purina flock raiser. Ducks need more niacin than chicks. Flock raiser is meant for mixed flocks.
    Free ranging your birds does depend on weather. If it is a nice day you can let them out around a month but keep an eye on them so they don't get cold. Again it does depend on weather.
    I think that nobody should get bullied if you get them at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by