New Chicken Keeper's First Time :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jillian, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jillian

Jillian Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Gainesville
    There was a switch at the postoffice, my chickens went home with someone else! But all is well and they got to me all safe and sound on Tuesday. I ordered them from My Pet Chicken and am very happy with my healthy little chicks. None have had pasty butt at all and have plenty of space to run around and get away from the heat lamp if they feel too warm. Here's some pics taken over the week. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They REALLY freaked me out the first time I saw them sleeping. I thought they were dying the way they just flop down and lay all limp!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw they are absolutely adorable. I miss when mine were just little chicks. They are just the cutest.

4. ninnyeggs

ninnyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    in the top pic what breed is the brown one standing up? i ordered silkie eggs and when ithatched it came out looking kinda like that and im trying to figure out what it is haha cute chicks [​IMG]

5. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    Super cute! I love sleeping chickies.

6. Jillian

Jillian Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Gainesville
    Quote:Not sure but it should be one of three: welsummer, easter egger, or speckled sussex. I'm not familiar enough with the chicks of each to tell the difference.

We DO have a silkie though. In that top pic it's the black one on the left. My understanding is silkies have an extra toe on each foot if that helps any. Ours is supposed to be a blue silkie but it could be black, blue, or splash. There's a better picture of him on my page here. [​IMG]

7. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    I so understand thinking they're dying when you first start watching them go to sleep... they way they all just sort of go "limp noodle"... I was sure they died! what a relief when 2 minutes later they all got up and started running around again.

8. LilMissPetie

LilMissPetie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that too....Very cute babies [​IMG]

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that too....Very cute babies [​IMG]

x2

10. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Awwwwwww their so CUTE! They look very healthy and livley [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by