New Chicken Lady from Western Mass!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EmilyRae, Dec 18, 2012.

1. EmilyRae

EmilyRae Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Chesterfield, MA
    Hello Everyone!

I am a new chicken lady :D and finally (after about 2 months) have decided to join the BYC Family. I have been using all of your useful advice and information since day one (Oct. 10th 2012).. and let me say Holy Cow you have saved me from many mistake and breakdowns.

I live in Western MA up in the Hilltowns (where the center of town is the Post Office and General Store). My love and interest in chickens began by watching my neighbor's hens walking around, and immediately their curiosity and personalities drew me in. After deciding that "free" eggs and entertainment (and a little company [​IMG]) would be fun, I ordered 5 girls from Meyer Hatchery. Unfortunately, upon arrival, only my Dorking and Easter Egger survived. Crushed, I immediately found a farmer on Craigslist who was looking to decrease her flock, and picked up 4 more babies (slightly older than mine, but everyone got along swimmingly)! Unfortunately, I dont really know much about the breeds or sexes of my 4 farm birds.

[​IMG]
    But these are my ladies (and perhaps one gentleman?) a few weeks ago. From left to right: Helga (Easter Egger), Bernadette (Black Mystery), Scooter (Mystery white feathers), D.J. (Dorking), LaFonda (Maran?), and LuLu (Orphington?).

I am ashamed to say that as a new nervous momma, I have raised them inside [​IMG] and by reading all your posts steering away from such pampering, I have finally moved them to the garage while I wait for better weather to set up their run (I am nervous that their coop alone is not big enough to keep them locked up in).

I look forward to sharing my experiences with folks who actually care to listen and help.. because my friends and family think im crazy. But cheers and hears to a great new adventure!

Best,
    Emily

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

3. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

How big is your coop? While adult birds require 4 square feet of floor space, young ones like these would do fine with less - until they grew up anyway.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Emily, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! You sound like an awesome chicken mom! Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by