New Chicken Lady Here

HorseWitch

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
New to group and new to chickens. Currently have too many chickens, LOL.
I raise my grand daughter and she has wanted chickens for 7 yrs now. I have been scared of chickens for going on 53 yrs. I was beat up by an angry momma hen when i was little and have not just hated chickens but have been terrified of them since. This spring with covid I relented. I said we would get 6 hens and only 6 hens no damn roosters. Well to make a long story short we currently have 18 chickens. I live in central Alberta and we do get winter LOL

Welcome to BYC , it's great to meet you. I think to get over any major fears, you have to start with baby steps. In this case, I think starting with young chicks makes it easier for both sides. The chicks benefit from socialization and so does any one fearful of grown chickens.

Obviously what you have done works well for you - :wee. Depending on how much fear/hate comes to the table there are probably a few scenarios that will work just fine.

New to group and new to chickens. Currently have too many chickens, LOL.
I raise my grand daughter and she has wanted chickens for 7 yrs now. I have been scared of chickens for going on 53 yrs. I was beat up by an angry momma hen when i was little and have not just hated chickens but have been terrified of them since. This spring with covid I relented. I said we would get 6 hens and only 6 hens no damn roosters. Well to make a long story short we currently have 18 chickens. I live in central Alberta and we do get winter LOL
Welcome to BYC 🐣

Welcome to BYC , it's great to meet you. I think to get over any major fears, you have to start with baby steps. In this case, I think starting with young chicks makes it easier for both sides. The chicks benefit from socialization and so does any one fearful of grown chickens.

Obviously what you have done works well for you - :wee. Depending on how much fear/hate comes to the table there are probably a few scenarios that will work just fine.
I just decided that I would have to get over "IT". If I am not scared of a 1500 LB stallion or pissed off mare, what is a chicken really( a mini T Rex) I am rocking this chicken thing. I have my favorites. Miss Bianca is my silkie/polish and is an absolute love. Then there is Uno she is blind in one eye and is a pullet that we hatched this summer. I am getting there Lily pecked me last night and instead of running I voiced her about her behavior. I am getting there.
When my 2 old mares passed this summer, i sat with my chickens and cried. My lavender Orp hens came and sat beside/with me in the barn door. I love our chickens.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Well, you blew it on the number of hens. Do you have any damn roosters?
Thanks for the welcome. Yes I have a Lavender Rooster( Potter) a Blue Cochin( Micah) and a 4 or 5 barn yard mixes that are about 13 weeks old. The barnyard mixes will be sorted out as soon as we are sure. Know for sure there are 3 in the young ones but suspect one or 2 more may be. I want salmon faverolles and have ordered some for next spring LOL better then more horses and cheaper too. They all have names.

Back
Top Bottom