New Chicken Lady

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by roosterboots, Jul 9, 2016.

1. roosterboots

roosterboots Just Hatched

Jul 9, 2016
    Louisiana
    Hey everyone! I'm new to the chicken life! I have 32 chickens, 4 ducks and 2 turkeys! All but 10 chickens are still chicks! I've done so many Google searches looking for ideas and just learning as much as I can. Almost everything I search comes up with an answer from back yard chickens! So I decided to join! So excited to be here with you guys!

1 person likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    This is truly where you belong, glad you found us. If you have questions, the Learning Center has tons of answers. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

3. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC, glad to have you join the flock. Bet you have a lot of entertainment to watch with all those baby chicks around! We recently got 5 young pullets and love watching them. Plan to integrate them with our current flock in a few months.

4. roosterboots

Jul 9, 2016
    Louisiana
    I do love watching my babies! I've had them since they were a couple days old. They're now about 4 weeks. They're still so skittish of me tho. Will they eventually get used to me giving them water and food and cleaning their brooder and trying to hold them?

5. limited25

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    You need to take a few treats and just sit in your coop with them a little while. Let them eat out of your hand, which they will once they get used to you and see what you've got for them. LOL

1 person likes this.
  6. roosterboots

Jul 9, 2016
    Louisiana
    What kind of treats can I give the chicks? Same as the older chickens?

7. limited25

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Probably, but don't give them anything except their chick food until you provide age appropriate grit for them. The grit will gather in their gizzard and grind up the food they eat. We give ours meal worms, grapes, watermelon, and tomatoes. Haven't tried black oil sunflower seeds on them yet (BOSS).

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by