New chicken lady.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sgorajec, Sep 18, 2016.

1. sgorajec

sgorajec Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Hello,
    We just purchased 4 day old dark Brahmas. Hoping they are all girls! Never had chickens before, but we are already hooked! Working on designing & building our coop so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Hello to you and [​IMG]. I'm so glad you have joined us.

Congrats on your new babies - sending you luck wishes they are all gals [​IMG]

Too much advice, too little time to tell all [​IMG]

But:

Watch for pasty butts - it shocked me that 2 of my 6 got it, later found it is not uncommon when you get baby chicks.

Get your coop/run plans going and get to building - you will be wanting to move those gals into a permanent home at about 5-6 weeks of age. It takes longer to get the finishing touches and predator protection done than we think. And I think the Brahmas are larger than the BO/BR I raised and I had to get a larger brooder when mine were 2 weeks old - so make sure you have brooder space to handle them as they grow.

Build larger than what you think, it is so much harder to expand the coop or run after they have moved in.

Think ahead on what you would do if one or more turn out to be boys.

Enjoy every minute - take loads of pics/videos.

Get ready for a great adventure - and hopefully loads of fresh eggs [​IMG]

Don't hesitate to post questions in the forums, we're here to help.

1 person likes this.
  3. Circle W Farms

Circle W Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2016
    Antreville,SC
    My Coop
    Hello from SC and welcome to BYC. There are a ton of info on chicks and coops in the Learning Center.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Please check out the coops section for great ideas and details of build.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

6. sgorajec

sgorajec Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Thank you! I will look into the pasty butts. Unfortunately, we cannot have roosters in our neighborhood (I live in the city). If one is a male, I will either have to give him away or get in touch with the guy I bought them from. We are so excited! They are one of the bigger birds so I am building it as big as my space allows. We are planning on a 4 foot by 4 foot coop & then adding 4 nesting boxes to the side of it. Attached to the coop will be a 4 foot by 10 foot run.

Congrats on your new babies - sending you luck wishes they are all gals :fl

Too much advice, too little time to tell all ;)

But:

Watch for pasty butts - it shocked me that 2 of my 6 got it, later found it is not uncommon when you get baby chicks.

Get your coop/run plans going and get to building - you will be wanting to move those gals into a permanent home at about 5-6 weeks of age. It takes longer to get the finishing touches and predator protection done than we think.   And I think the Brahmas are larger than the BO/BR I raised and I had to get a larger brooder when mine were 2 weeks old - so make sure you have brooder space to handle them as they grow.

Build larger than what you think, it is so much harder to expand the coop or run after they have moved in.

Think ahead on what you would do if one or more turn out to be boys.

Enjoy every minute - take loads of pics/videos.

Get ready for a great adventure - and hopefully loads of fresh eggs :jumpy

Don't hesitate to post questions in the forums, we're here to help.
    [/quote]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello :welcome from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Looks like you've already received some great advice so I'll say best of luck and enjoy BYC. :)

9. sgorajec

sgorajec Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    We have started our coop! The whole family is pitching in.[​IMG]

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by