New chicken lady!!

amankosa

Hatching
Sep 29, 2016
Hi everyone! So excited to be here, but I need help! I have had my chickens since 7 weeks old. One of them is now submissive squtting and finally laying eggs! She is laying an egg a day. She has always been the lead pullet, first one out of the coop and the last one in the coop. She always seemed to be leading the flock. Our flock consists of four pullets total. Over the past few days, the pullets who are not laying have segregated my laying pullet from the group. Everytime she goes near the three mean girls, she gets attacked! Can they sense that she is different? What is going on?? Help, please!

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community. I think it is perhaps that the one that is getting picked on is simply at the bottom of the pecking order. Her laying first doesn't necessarily allow her to be the leader of the pack. And if she acts submissive the others will likely assume dominance over her. You said 'attacked.' Do they cause damage to her or just gave her a peck or two?

Thank you for your reply! Just a peck or two! She was always highest on the pecking order by observing her behavior. The other ladies always followed her around, made sure all the chickens were in the coop before going in, eating first and pushing others out of the way, etc. Now she's being bullied. Can the pecking order change with maturity and hormone changes?

Welcome, welcome, I am so glad you decided to join us here at Backyard Chickens!! I am glad you are getting first eggs! So much fun! I would say that if she is just getting a peck or two, it is nothing to worry about, the hen at the bottom of the pecking order will usually just be a loner or sometimes there will be a few that get picked on a awful lot, and those will all hang out together. Pecking order does change, it is like working for a company, you might be Assistant Manager, but you are still trying to Manager, and when you eventually get promoted, the Manager might step down or out of the ''Pecking Order''. Good luck with your hens and enjoy those eggs!

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here! As long as no serious injury or bleeding is occurring with the pecking, I wouldn't be too alarmed. Congrats on getting eggs!

Back
Top Bottom