1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

New Chicken Lady!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by redheadedchicky, Apr 21, 2018.

1. redheadedchicky

redheadedchicky In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2018
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Hi everyone. I am Brandie and I've been a lurker for sometime now. This site has been tremendous in helping me start our new flock! I have 4 3 weeks old chicks right now. 2 red sex links and 2 olive easter eggers. They have been doing great in their brooder box while I have been fine tuning their coop. My next task is to attach a predator apron around the coop. I live in a residential neighborhood, so I would imagine raccoons are probably going to be the biggest problem.
    I'm married to a naval aviator who is often deployed, and we have 2 daughters, 3 and 5 months. I am a professional portrait photographer, and I love to sew children's clothing.
    I have been really enjoying this site. Whenever I take on a new hobby I tend to spend every spare moment researching so that I can absorb everything.

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello Brandie and welcome to BYC

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in Oz - https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australia-six-states-and-that-funny-little-island.598568/ (I'm assuming that's where you are living)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

redheadedchicky, N F C and Joeschooks like this.
  3. Chasingcars

Chasingcars Songster

Sep 15, 2017
    Derbyshire , England
    Hi Brandie ...I’m also a research nerd when it comes to new projects and I think it’s great to be prepared ....just remember everyone on here has their own opinion on how to do things so read and make an informed decision based on everything you’ve read.dont get bogged down ..keep it natural and enjoy it!

4. LaurEliz

LaurEliz Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Illinois
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome! I also lurked on this forum quite a bit before I actually joined. :) I hope you and your family enjoy watching your chickens grow! I had chickens for most of my life, starting from as far back as I can remember. As a child, I absolutely loved having chickens and collecting their eggs. I would get so excited, especially about the Easter Eggers! I hope your daughters will find it as thrilling as I did! :)

5. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Free Ranging

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello Brandie!
    Welcome to BYC! I’m glad you are finding the site so useful. It’s great to have you in the flock! :thumbsup

6. N F C

N F C you heard the cat, smile! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Brandie, it's nice to have you here! Make yourself at home, thanks for joining us!

redheadedchicky likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Brandie, Welcome to the Backyard chickens community :frow

redheadedchicky likes this.
  8. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member 8 Years

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    [​IMG] I know you'll enjoy it here!!