new chicken lady

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cats and chicks, Feb 1, 2014.

1. cats and chicks

cats and chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    north ga
    Hi all!
    I will be moving soon, and in my search for free furniture, i have found a family that is moving to the west coast. While picking up some furniture and other things from them, my friend who is a landscaper began asking if the homeowner needed someone to take care of the property in their absence.
    Anyway, while looking around the property, my friend noticed a chicken coop and he asked the homeowner what he was going to do with it. The home owner replied that they were wanting to get rid of it and my friend who knows I was thinking of getting chickens when i move looked at me and said "she'll take it"
    So the guy turns to me and asks if i want the chickens he has, too, and, of course i piped up and yelled "yes, please"!!
    So I dont know what breeds they are, but I would call the smallet one a "fancy" chicken because she's a little smaller and has slightly "fluffy" black and white feathers on her body and around her feet. The other one, I would call a "regular" chicken with light brown and reddish feathers. They are 2-3 years old and lay consistently almost every day except in very cold weather which we had this past week.
    I have never before owned chickens although i have had song birds, so I'm familiar with birds of a sort. Also, I'm a Vet Tech and I remember studying chickens in school, but that was almost 20 years ago, so I've forgotten most of what I learned.
    If you're still reading, thank you!
    I know I'll find tons of support here.
    Can someone quickly tell me if i can use dog food and water bowls temperarily to give these pretty ladies food and water while i gather supplies to make a feeder and waterer? The current owner has just been throwing feed on the ground, but in my excitement over getting them, i didn't notice what they were using for water.
    They will be housed in a temporary shelter for a few weeks while I'm waiting to move. Can i use pine straw on the floor to give them some insulation (it's a raised, wooden shed with windows that used to house cats)?
    Thanks in advance for all of the great advice I know I will receive here!

2. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes on the dog bowls. I use those small black rubber horse tubs for food and in the winter I use them for water as well. So you don't need the traditional feeders for chickens if you don't want to. And actually, heavy deep tubs or bowls are less wasteful for food. The birds can't scoop feed out of them as they can with the standard feeders for chickens.

Pine straw as in pine needles? They are not really absorbent but will work in a pinch. Wood shavings work well, grass hay or sand works the best. But it is up to you.

You might want to do some reading in our learning center here on BYC for some tips and hints on raising and keeping your new flock...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

4. BellChell123

BellChell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Hello and welcome!

If you're using wet dog food, then it might not be bad, but you can also put people food in there to vary their diet. (Chickens eat nearly everything, I give mine oatmeal)

For a water container you can use just about anything! We use rubbermaid tubs, plastic buckets, and with our house chicken (Long story. Here's the beginning Click Here) we just use dishes for finches that we picked up for a few dollars.

By all means you can use the straw! Just be sure to clean out the house since there might be lots of cat....scat...and the ammonia might hurt the chickens.

Welcome to the world of chickens! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. cats and chicks

cats and chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    north ga
    Thanks everyone!
    BellChell123, I'm planning to feed chicken feed, but won't be able to buy or make a feeder for a few weeks (moving is expensive[​IMG])
    The bowls i have are metal, but I can use plastic if that's better. Just thinking the metal may be easier to clean.....

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you have laying hens, they should be on "layer" feed. You can feed them even in a cardboard box with the sides cut down so they can reach the feed. There should be less waste than if it is just tossed on the ground. Check out the Learning center for a lot of great information.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

9. Congrats on your new chicken house and new flock.
    Welcome to BYC from Southern California! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by