New Chicken Lover of Bantam Cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamCochins, Jan 20, 2014.

1. BantamCochins

BantamCochins New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    I am learning as much as I can before spring. I would like to have Bantam Cochins...love them!!!! After research they are my chicken. Have a few questions..... any issues with going up the ramp? How high can it be? Any " tips" , advice anyone can give me.. I will take ALL !!!! Thank you in advance, Michele

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

My bantam cochins (i now have some standard cochins) were good enough fliers to easily get up on the three foot perches. So, ramps would be no problem.

They are super cute and very sweet.

Remember that with those fuzzy feet, it would be best if you can figure out a way to give them a dry or at least not a super muddy run.

Only other tip.... Is I know I had a bit of a panic the time i saw blood all over one foot. With the feathered feet, it is easy for the feathers to get broken off, especially when they are growing in. If the feather is actively bleeding, you need to pull out the entire feather.

I only experienced a bloody foot once, and the feather had already stopped bleeding when I saw it, so I didn't have to do anything. But I have white cochins, so even just a little blood looks like a terribly large amount.

Good luck!

What colors will you go with, there are so many great ones!

3. BantamCochins

BantamCochins New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    I am not sure what colors... there are so many ... I would like a frizzle cochin I know. Thank you for your post :)

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I don't like the frizzle all that much, I love the smooth fluffy shape of the regular feathers on a Cochin.

I know white sounds boring, but I love them, super fluffy round balls!

I really like the blue black splash color too. That gives you lots of variety, and you can still breed true, if you wanted to breed.

You can't go wrong with Cochins, all of the colors are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by