New chicken lover

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Daviszero, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Daviszero

Daviszero New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Hey everyone new here had a few questions, a little backstory first. I have love chickens my whole life, after i got out of the army I met a girl we found love and now have a beautiful 6 month old daughter, we just moved into a place of our own and we agreed the first thing we were going to do was buy some chickens together, she grew up around chickens and loves them just like myself.

So we went to atwoods and bought five pullets, which I'm certain are going to be barred rocks, and ten straight run chicks two are buff Cochins, the others we aren't sure about, I'll post pics if anyone thinks they can identify them. Unfortunately one passed last night, we aren't sure why, it was lethargic after we brought it home, it refused to open its eyes, and it would have moments where it would flail violently, I was concerned that my other chicks might become sick but they all seem fine, if someone could identify this ailment I would appreciate it. Also this morning I was changing the bedding and I unplugged the heat lamp and set it to the side when I was done I plugged it back in and the bulb exploded.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Congrats on your new place and your new chicks. Sorry to hear that one died. There's really no way to tell what happened with that one...sounds like seizures with flailing about.
    Keep in mind that if you're brooding them indoors, or in a warm area, you don't need a 250W heat bulb - you can go with a lesser one, because only the area directly beneath the lamp needs to be in the 90s (if they're day-olds), not the whole brooder. I'm just saying that because the hotter the bulb the more risks involved. I've brooded many times and never had a bulb explode. Wonder if it got bumped or maybe it was just a defective bulb... Enjoy your chicks!

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. Daviszero

Daviszero New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Thanks for the welcomes, my wife and myself are soo excited to see what we have, we were a little upset about the chick that passed, it's down was chocolate colored and we knew it would be pretty as an adult, it beautiful outside today so we are gonna put them in the yard to run around, supervised of course, I'll post some pics if I can on my phone

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    hi and welcome to BYC from northern michigan :D

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...glad you joined

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by