1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicken Mama and I have no idea what I have!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JenniCupcake, Jun 27, 2011.

1. JenniCupcake

JenniCupcake New Egg

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi there! We are a new chickening family! We have had out chicks since they were a few days old from a farm. We tried to incubate a dozen eggs but that didn't go well [​IMG]
    So here we are about 10 weeks later and these ladies (hopefully) are huge! I am not sure on the breeds or the genders. We are hoping for girls since I have a cupcake business and would love the eggs. I think we have a RIR and maybe a Barred Rick??? Not sure on the white one. She is not all white, she seems to have light brown spots on her wings. Here are some pics. Hopefully they help! Thanks for any comments. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!! P.S.-they love watermellon, we found out today!!!
    Goldie (the white one) has always seemed bugger than the other two but may be a couple days older? Not sure.
    [​IMG]
    All three on the ramp to their coop!
    [​IMG]
    Spotty (RIR?) and Black Beauty (Barred?)
    [​IMG]

THANKS!!!!![​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Black Beauty is definitely a Barred Rocks. You can tell by her yellow legs.

I got nothing on the others.

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    The white one looks like a tetra link which is a leghorn cross. They are really sweet and check out the link here on byc.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The light colored one looks like a red sex-link rooster. [​IMG] The dark one is a barred rock. The red one is probably an RIR but don't quote me on it.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Your Barred Rock is a girl. Not sure about the others.

AND, [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Sorry but at 10 weeks I think you have 2 roos and am not sure about the barred rock. My barred rocks are about 10 weeks old and my girls dont have any where near that large of a comb but my boy has bigger wattles and comb so could still be a girl. I think the red is a production red great layers but I think yours is a boy and the white one is probably a mix and I think a boy. I have a white one like that I have no idea what mix she is.

7. sonic164

sonic164 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    the white one looks like mine just 9 weeks old i think she's a road island leghorn white star cross

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by