New chicken mama Connecticut.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Woogerboogers, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Woogerboogers

Woogerboogers Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    My name is Amanda we live in CT, and my husband two kids, and niece are all very new to getting chickens and raising them. Our one day old chicks will be in tomorrow! We are excited but nervous. We have all the stuff for baby chicks, but tips are much appreciated!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Congrats on the soon to be new chicks! Yes, easy to be a nervous parent to new little ones!

Are these shipped chicks or are they coming from the feed store? If they are coming in the mail, and much of this holds true if you are bringing them home from the feed store, when you get them home, when transfering them to the brooder, dip everybody's beak in the water and set them down in front of the waterer. Do this with each chick and withhold food for about 20 mins. The reason behind this is that the chicks are generally stressed and dehydrated from shipping or even driving them home. And if they are not well hydrated and they eat first...they will get pasty butt or constipation and this can kill them if they can't pass a hard stool.

Lay paper towels down under the feeder and sprinkle chick starter all around the feeder. Tap with your finger like you are eating and this will get them started. It can take a few days for them to learn where the food is kept. You can stop with the paper towels in a couple of days once you think they have all figured it out.

Use a red or infra red heat lamp...infra red allows for a normal sleep pattern where as white does not. Keep the heat off to one side and place a good thermometer on the floor directly under the heat source. Start them out at 90 degrees. You want cool places in the brooder as tiny chicks can't regulate their temps yet and will get warm. They need places to cool off. So keep the heat on one side, food and water on the other. The brooder should be large enough that each chick has at least 1/2 square foot per bird. Do not cover the brooder with anything but a screen or wire for good heat and oxygen exchange.

Keep the brooder clean and dry. Elevate the food and water so that bedding and poop doesn't get into these places. The cleaner you are, the better the chances the chicks won't contract Coccidiosis.

Lower your temp by 5 degrees each week for 5 to 6 weeks. You can give them things to do in the brooder to keep the entertained...a box full of dried leaves, some chick starter and a pinch of sand for grit...

[​IMG]

And stop by our learning center too for all kinds of great articles on raising chicks and keeping them healthy all throughout their adult lives....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy your new babies! If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey @Woogerboogers I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC! I would like to welcome you with open arms! Yes this site is very helpful for all chicken related things! Since TwoCrows left you a wonderful response I will leave you to the link I suggest a lot to our newbies. I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates I am happy you were able to follow your dream and get a flock of your own that is so nice! All the best of luck to you and your flock!
    Justin [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Oh wow, you are in for some fun learning experience. People are usually surprised at how much fun chickens can bring into their lives. :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Woogerboogers

Jun 20, 2016
    Thank you everyone! They are very cute, all 10 of them. Though they play in only a couple minute increments I want to keep them entertained. They all peck at one another, and while I know they are establishing order I want to make sure it's not due to boredom. Anyone have any good tips?

9. Woogerboogers

Jun 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by