New Chicken Mama from Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mjhughes78, Mar 24, 2017.

1. mjhughes78

mjhughes78 Just Hatched

Oct 22, 2016
    Purdy, Missouri
    Hi there....I'm a newbie from Missouri. We have 8 Barred Rocks and 4 Rhode Island Reds about 3 1/2 weeks old. We have transitioned them from the house, to the enclosed barn and now are soon ready to move them to their forever home a new coop. I have a couple of questions though...how do you teach them to leave the coop and go down into their "run" during the day and then in the evening come back into the coop? I plan on letting them free range but need to make sure they know where HOME is....but need to make sure I've got a plan before I totally mess this up.....Right now they are doing fine in a large pen in the enclosed barn....but with warmer temps would love to start transitioning them....

Any thoughts....

2. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! Is your run connected to your coop? For transitioning, I would check these links out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/511304/how-to-transition-the-chicks-to-the-coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/92382/so-how-do-you-transition-your-chicks-from-brooder-to-coop

If you ever have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask! Or you can just hop over to the Learning Center:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And if you want to chat with other chicken lovers near you, you can check this forum out:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes and best of luck! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You have some good links to read up on so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to our wonderful forum! I am so glad you joined Backyard Chickens, I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! RodNTN gave you a bunch of great links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you have a steep ramp down they may be afraid of it, sometimes if the ramp has sides it is more secure to them. Also they are still very much babies. I don't know what your weather is like but, chicks generally don't go out to the coop till fully feathered out which is about 6-8 weeks.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mjhughes78 [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with Diva in that I would not be popping them into the coop just yet as they sound a tad bit young.

Also, when they do move to their coop and run, I recommend leaving them locked in for a couple of weeks before letting them out so that they learn where home and safety is and also get in to a routine of going to roost etc. After a couple of weeks, may be let them out just an hour or so before dusk so that they do not wander too far and return to their coop at roost time. Then gradually increase the length of time you let them out for.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by