New Chicken Mama Here! House chicken advice?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MsSeramaMama, Nov 9, 2016.

1. MsSeramaMama

MsSeramaMama New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    Nh
    After decades of loving chickens and dreaming of owning one I finally jumped at the chance when my friend asked if I was interested in getting a chicken since she was getting more for her coop. I'm now the proud mama of Dorothy or Dottie, a six week old black and white mottled patterned, frizzle serama... the breeder told us that because she was a frizzle she would do much better as a house chicken so that's what I intend to do. I want to make sure since she'll be spending the majority of her time indoors that she's fulfilled... any suggestions? She spends a lot of time out of her cage and just wants to be with me, but I'm having ttrouble dealing with some things... she calls for me non-stop unless her cage is covered, is that because she's young? Can you find a way to curb their need to peck you because she got me really good in the eye the other night? And as far as pooping, it's constant, any suggestions on how to deal with smell or possibly potty train to some extent? I have spent 100 dollars on various chicken diapers, the first kind was a no go so I'm hoping these others will be better. Any help or suggestions would be so appreciated !

2. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
  3. MsSeramaMama

MsSeramaMama New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    Nh

Thank you for the links, still hard to navigate this forum. She does have a mirror and a plushie to snuggle in her cage, and 've everything smooths out I will probably get her a friend, just didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. Thank you so much for the reply.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. I am terrible with computers, don't know how to write links for things etc. I get around quite well by putting things in the search box like: "People with house chickens." - it should take you right there.

My friend has had house chickens- of various breeds for over 25 years. Currently she has 2 serama hens and 1 silkie hen. The silkie is afraid of the seramas. But my friend has also had times when she only had one chicken in the house.

She doesn't diaper any. She just has rags and cleaner at the ready and cleans up as soon as she sees a mess. Her house does NOT smell. They sleep in crates, so they can't wander around in the dark. Otherwise they free range in the house and generally hang out with elderly peke-a-poo dog. They also go outside with him and stay close to him - he is not thrilled with the chickens but is a very good sport.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    you may do better with 2 in the house BUT, your original may NOT want another chicken sharing your attention.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree that she would do better with another chicken friend. As for her pecking you, that sounds like pretty normal chicken behavior to me but you should keep your face out of her reach to avoid a nasty injury.

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community. Diva and N F C gave you great advice so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Sounds like you've gotten good advice and links, so I'll just say hi! :frow

9. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by