New Chicken Mama here

Waters-flock

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Central Texas Hill Country
I am a very new chicken mama (about six hours) and I have the silliest questions. I have been researching and tried to be prepared for pasty butt, splay legs, chicks that weren't thriving, but weirdly (thankfully), none of that has happened (yet). I was concerned because it took four days to get to me - so I assumed I would have some issues to deal with. Well, I got 8 girls (we hope) and they all appear to be doing fine. Drinking, eating, and pretty active. So here are my questions -
1) First dumb question - chicken poop all looks pretty messy to me. How do I know what looks normal and what isn't normal? They really do poop all the time.
2) I'm trying to watch the chicks so I can make sure all of them are eating, drinking and getting out but it is hard because I have two similar chicks of each type. Is it weird to just hang out and stare at them or is that what you have to do to figure out that they are all okay? For example, I think one of them stays under the brooder more than the others but I do see her getting out exploring. Some are just more curious, I think.
3) When I first got them, they were all chirping a lot. When I put them in the brooder, they were still chirping but not quite so loudly. One chick was consistently chirping very loud (not sure which one it was) but the rest got quieter. Now even that one stopped chirping much. They all huddle under the brooder together (I think sleeping) and when one comes out, they all seem to come out, and when one goes back, they all seem to go back. And as the day goes on, they are getting more and more curious. Can I assume this is normal?
4) I notice that they peck at each other periodically but I don't think anyone is getting hurt. They peck at everything - the ground, the brooder, the water and food containers, and so on. I think this is just exploring, right?
5) I picked each of them up when I first got them to check them over, and show them where the water and the brooder was - but now I am leaving them alone so as not to stress them out any further. Should I leave them alone for a day or two?
6) Do they just sort of fall down when they fall asleep? I saw one under the brooder with her eyes drifting closed and she just sort of landed. Another girl bumped her and she got up right away. This is normal, right?

I know - these are not big issues but since I've never had chicks before, some of this logical stuff is confusing to me. Thanks, Elsa

1) Lots of poop - normal.
2) Of course it's weird, but that's okay.
3) They were most likely chilled. Warming up and getting more active is normal.
4) They peck at everything = trying to see whether or not it's good to eat.
5) Monitor and intercede if any don't seem to be doing well.
6) Crash and burn - normal
7)RELAX and enjoy your chicks.

1) I am not an expert on chicken poop, but I wouldn't worry about it as long as it doesn't look really out-of-the-ordinary.
2) Chicks are so adorable! It's hard not to stare at them, isn't it? Yes, for chicken people this is normal behavior. ;)
3) This is normal as well. They like to stay together as a flock, so when one does something the others usually follow suit.
4) Yes, just exploring.
5) It is probably good to let them settle in for a bit, but it's a good idea to handle them often so they get used to human interaction and are more calm as adults.
6) Also normal. They are so funny when they suddenly fall asleep.

Congrats on getting chicks Elsa! From your descriptions, they seem to be displaying normal chick behavior, so don't worry. Handling chicks when they are young is good for getting them used to humans. Make sure to take lots of pictures!
-P

Thanks for telling me this is all normal and for not saying I'm obsessing, which I know I am. I'm trying not to overthink things but why start now when I've been an overthinker all my life. I'm just happy to have the girls here, all safe and sound. I will never again order chicks to be shipped to me, even if I have to drive long distances.

Chicken Poo - I found the webpage "reassuring" when I got started last year.

2 Birds are individuals. Except when they aren't. Its weird. Also, I use small keg bands to identify otherwise near identical flock members. They have to be replaced frequently as the birds grow, its not a great method, but for reasons I need to be able to tell birds apart (to a point).

3 They are social animals, and will travel in packs, for all that they are individuals. As pecking order is established, some birds will inevitably end up as the usual leaders, and followers. Someone WILL be an escape artist. Someone else will spend all their time planning how to be on top of anything nearby.

4 They explore their world with their beaks, not their feets. Also, some pecking order to work out. As long as no one gets bloody or broken, let them. Expect the same during integrations when you add birds (chicken math), and when they start laying, things can rearrange a bit as well.

5 I'm pretty hands off. Hatch a group every three weeks or so, maintain 50-55, process a few birds to a handful each month. But I'm less emotionally "attached" than many. Everyone manages their flocks a bit differently. Not wrong, just different.

6 ??? I don't watch mine sleep. Maybe my wife knows. She's MUCH more emotionally attached to the babies.

I am a very new chicken mama (about six hours) and I have the silliest questions. I have been researching and tried to be prepared for pasty butt, splay legs, chicks that weren't thriving, but weirdly (thankfully), none of that has happened (yet). I was concerned because it took four days to get to me - so I assumed I would have some issues to deal with. Well, I got 8 girls (we hope) and they all appear to be doing fine. Drinking, eating, and pretty active. So here are my questions -
1) First dumb question - chicken poop all looks pretty messy to me. How do I know what looks normal and what isn't normal? They really do poop all the time.
2) I'm trying to watch the chicks so I can make sure all of them are eating, drinking and getting out but it is hard because I have two similar chicks of each type. Is it weird to just hang out and stare at them or is that what you have to do to figure out that they are all okay? For example, I think one of them stays under the brooder more than the others but I do see her getting out exploring. Some are just more curious, I think.
3) When I first got them, they were all chirping a lot. When I put them in the brooder, they were still chirping but not quite so loudly. One chick was consistently chirping very loud (not sure which one it was) but the rest got quieter. Now even that one stopped chirping much. They all huddle under the brooder together (I think sleeping) and when one comes out, they all seem to come out, and when one goes back, they all seem to go back. And as the day goes on, they are getting more and more curious. Can I assume this is normal?
4) I notice that they peck at each other periodically but I don't think anyone is getting hurt. They peck at everything - the ground, the brooder, the water and food containers, and so on. I think this is just exploring, right?
5) I picked each of them up when I first got them to check them over, and show them where the water and the brooder was - but now I am leaving them alone so as not to stress them out any further. Should I leave them alone for a day or two?
6) Do they just sort of fall down when they fall asleep? I saw one under the brooder with her eyes drifting closed and she just sort of landed. Another girl bumped her and she got up right away. This is normal, right?

I know - these are not big issues but since I've never had chicks before, some of this logical stuff is confusing to me. Thanks, Elsa
1. My first round of chicks I kept a POOP LOG at one point. 😂 It wasn’t necessary. You’ll notice when it starts to get abnormal. They can have some weird poops here and there.
2. It’d be weird not to stare at them, they’re cute. You might consider banding them however?
3. Loud chirping generally means distress. Soft chirps or silence is usually good (unless they’re super lethargic). Just make sure they have enough heat + space to move away from the heat.
4. Pecking is fine, just make sure they have enough space as they grow.
5. I wouldn’t handle them a ton the first couple of days just so they can get used to their environment. They’ll figure it out. Fine to watch and be near them though!
6. They act like drunk people as chicks. They’ll be running around one minute and the next passed out face-planted. 😂

I think a poop log might be weird - never.

Today I noticed that one of the girls wasn't coming out from under the brooder as much as the others so I tried to check her out when she was moving around and I got my first case of pasty butt. I calmly (terrified) got my supplies and had my husband stand on the other side of the brooder so they would all run my direction and I gently scooped her up. I cleaned her up with warm water and a soft cloth (it took a while but she was patient) and tried to dry her off as much as I could. When I put her back, my husband was watching and said she almost instantly pooped so I'm assuming we can claim success. Anyway, she didn't seem stressed when I held her so I will check her again tomorrow, just in case.

This is terrifying - they are so tiny. Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom