New Chicken Mama Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dobbisha, Apr 18, 2017.

1. dobbisha

dobbisha Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    Good morning!
    I am a new chicken mama. This is my first time raising a flock. My chicks are a month old, give or take a day. We have six chicks, 3 Barred Rocks and 3 Tetra Browns. Their coop is up and we have been putting them outside during the day as the temps have been going up into the 80's. We bring them in at night. It is about 62 degrees right now and just started raining. They are protected from the rain unless it comes in sideways which it isn't right now. They seem to be fine. They are out there scratching, eating drinking. No one is crying (except mama hen here). What I would like to know is if I should bring them in. Is it too cold and wet outside today to let them stay out in the coop? I didn't even think this morning when I had my daughter put them out there for the day we've had such gorgeous weather.

Thank you in advance!

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    hello and welcome to BYC!! sounds like you are doing everything fine... they should be about feathered out now since they are a month old... As long as they don't huddle real tight together laying down that means they are fine... if they start huddling that means they are getting cold

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    X2
    And welcome to BYC!

4. dobbisha

dobbisha Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2017
    Upstate South Carolina
    Thank you so much for your reassurance. [​IMG] They seem fine, no change from their normal coop activity so I'll just keep an eye on them for changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by