New Chicken Mama

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LDeShaney, Feb 27, 2017.

1. LDeShaney

LDeShaney New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    So this is my first post and in only 3 short days I will be picking up my baby chicks! I am so excited and have my brooder prepared and ready to go. My dilemma is deciding how many to bring home- I only wanted about 4-5 chickens but many that I have talked to are telling me to double the amount or get more than I need because I will lose some. I'm curious to know if it is typical to lose several chicks. I'm getting mine from Murdochs a local feed store. Any suggestions?

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Hi , welcome:)
    My first round i didnt lose any, but i did soon after want to add more. And introductions can be stressful. So if i started over i would get more at first.
    But thats all depending on if you have plent of room and a big enough coop.
    If you really only have room for 4 or 5, i would maybe get one or two xtras . But no more than that. That way if one dies or if one ends up a rooster you still have enough.
    Oh and make sure your buying pullets(girls) if your only getting them for egg laying.
    If they are straight run(not sexed) you could end up with too many roosters

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. LDeShaney

LDeShaney New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    We have the room for plenty but being new to this I wasn't sure how many. I'm definitely getting pullets as I don't want roosters. Thanks for the tips

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Oh good deal. Well my first round were sexed correctly but last time i ended up with a couple roosters even tho i bought pullets.
    If you have the room i say add a few more since you will prob want to later anyway haha! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by