New chicken mama

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BlessedAbundanceFarm, Aug 17, 2018.

1. BlessedAbundanceFarm

BlessedAbundanceFarm Hatching

Aug 17, 2018
    Hello chicken lovers!
    I have a small farm (5 acres) for 9 years now, but no critters until this year due to my job always having me travel so much. I am retiring in 10 months and have a helper now, so I acquired my first chickens in March this year. Two adult hens, both Americaunas, and two juvenile hens, both Leghorns that are now laying age. They have been a joy to have on the farm. In April, I acquired four more hens; a Leghorn, a Giant, an Americauna (meanest little thing!), and a Barred Rock. These four came in a package deal with three young Muscovy ducks and a dog (mixed hound/Rottweiler, 2 year old male, neutered). Since I am not set up to have ducks they were sent to live at my sister's place where there is a large pond with ducks and geese. The ducks love being at the pond and living a normal duck life now instead of being in a mucky 4 x 4 foot cage with a little bowl of water only. Rocky, the dog, has settled in as an outdoor dog (he was already an outdoor dog when I got him and we live in Florida, so not so cold most of the time). Since my garden area is fenced off in the middle of my property Rocky is able to completely move around the outside of the garden, thus providing protection for the flock. Since Rocky has been here he has kept raccoons, squirrels, opossums, armadillos, gophers and snakes at bay protecting all of us here at the farm.
    I am building a new chicken tractor that will sit on the raised beds in the garden. I think once it is done and my flock moves into the new digs they will like it a lot better than being divided into two smaller coops each night. During the day they are out free-ranging in the garden and enjoying sunshine, when it isn't too hot, and hanging out in the shade on the really hot days. They are excellent egg layers. The Giant will follow me around hoping to get a blueberry or grape directly from my hand. She will even jump up to get them if held high. But, if she isn't fast enough, one of the other hens will snatch the treat right out of her beak! They have quite the personalities and are hilarious to watch.
    I look forward to learning more about raising my flock, keeping them healthy and comfortable, and how to best manage the eggs. I expect with the shorter days coming that they will molt their feathers, so I will need to learn more about what to do for that transition.
    To all you chicken lovers, I look forward to sharing chicken stories with you and hearing yours, too!

rjohns39, KikisGirls, N F C and 7 others like this.
  2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Hello! :frow I am so excited that you decided to join our community! :wee
    You are absolutely going to LOVE it here, at BYC!
    Have a FUNomenal time with your fur and feathered family!

rjohns39, KikisGirls, KLIL and 4 others like this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Wonderful intro! Sounds like you are really enjoying life on your farm. Keeping poultry is such a joy!

Make yourself at home here, if you have any questions, be sure and ask.

Hop up on the roost bar, we saved you a spot! :)

rjohns39, KikisGirls, N F C and 6 others like this.
  4. Chicken Whisperers

Chicken Whisperers Songster

Jun 29, 2018
    Meridian Idaho
    Hiya!! Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Glad you joined our community!

rjohns39, KikisGirls, KLIL and 5 others like this.
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Delightful intro! Hope you enjoy being here with us.

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

KLIL, rjohns39, KikisGirls and 5 others like this.
  6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crossing the Road

Mar 21, 2016
    Maricopa, AZ. (near Phoenix)
    Hello, and welcome to BYC!

KLIL, rjohns39, KikisGirls and 4 others like this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    KLIL, rjohns39, KikisGirls and 2 others like this.
  9. N F C

N F C snowing & blowing

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Terrific intro, it's nice to have you here!

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Don't lie. Don't cheat your way through life.

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

N F C, KLIL, rjohns39 and 1 other person like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: