New Chicken Mama

HutsonsHenHouse

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
Winchester, VA
Hi! I joined BackYard Chickens a few months ago to help get myself educated and have been following a ton of interesting and fun stories, articles, etc while patiently waiting for my new baby chicks to arrive. I am FINALLY a new chicken mama as of yesterday and starting my journey into the world of chickens. I was so excited when the post office called me at 7:30am Monday morning to tell me my babies had arrived. 4 Barnevelders, 3 Buff Orps and 3 Black Rock. One of the Buff Orps arrived a bit quivery and did not want to join the others. After a little coaxing, she started drinking more, eating and finally started hanging out with her flock mates. By afternoon, I couldn't tell any difference between her and the others so thinking she was just a bit extra stressed from her journey to Virginia. WHEW! Our first night was uneventful. They all settled right around dusk under the heat pad and I had to wake most of them up at 7am the next morning. Little sleepy heads, especially the Barred Rocks. One Buff Orp actually sprouted some wing feathers overnight. 😮 Now I see what you all mean - they do grow fast!! They seem to be fast learners because when I clucked to them this morning, most of them came running out from under the heating pad. I am so excited to have these precious babies and look forward to sharing my experiences with you all. Here's my first picture post. More to come I'm sure. ☺️

Attachments

• Baby chicks.jpg
    Baby chicks.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 38
Well I made it through the first week with no issues. All my babies are doing well. I moved them from the temporary brooder in the house the big brooder in the garage this past weekend and they seem to be loving their new space. It's been so much fun watching and inteacting with these little ones!

Attachments

• Inside the Big Brooder Day 1.jpg
    Inside the Big Brooder Day 1.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Inside the Big Brooder Day 2.jpg
    Inside the Big Brooder Day 2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 12
Well I made it through the first week with no issues. All my babies are doing well. I moved them from the temporary brooder in the house the big brooder in the garage this past weekend and they seem to be loving their new space. It's been so much fun watching and inteacting with these little ones!
That's awsome! I love watching chicks grow!

Back
Top Bottom