New Chicken Mama

sbowman87

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
I am about to get my second round of backyard chicks the end of this month! My daughters class is going to raise them for the first week then we will take them home. Hope they can get along with my 3 full grown layers!

Greetings from Kansas, sbowman87, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Careful with the integration process. Make sure the chicks are fully feathered (4 weeks or so). Also, try to give the birds close visual but not actually physical contact for a couple or more days - like through a fence or have the young ones in a dog kennel - just so they can get to know each other. After this intro period I like to take the new ones and put them with the established ones - at dark into the coop. They aren't as likely to get picked on in the dark and they kind of get used to each other and wake up together. Then in the a.m. I make sure to open the coop right away at day break so the newbies aren't trapped in case they are getting picked on. Then just monitor - there will be some natural pecking order adjustment with the new girls being on the bottom of the order. As long as one isn't singled out for abuse you should be good to go! Best of luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom