new chicken member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Achickenwrangler#1, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    HI everyone, I'm new and this is my intro, my husband and I moved to a remote place in WV, since the grandkids were going to visit, and I wanted a few chickens anyway, and the feed store just happened to have several chicks at $2 each, I jumped in and bought 5, along with 5 lbs of chick starter and away we went. What fun!
    The kids loved them! Had to set guidlines, one chick per child out of the box at a time, and zip the door to the pet carrier closed. (esp since they are in our living room) long story short, these are now the tamest chickens in the world I think.
    My husband built a 'house for them" (did I mention they lived in our house? and how do you know if you're a redneck? - you are if you have chickens watching tv with you.) See section on how to motivate your husband...
    A neighbor from the next town over said he had some chicks where the hen was kildt by a coon and he had a few left...I eagerly waited and a few days later he came back with 2 boxes! 5 chicks from green eggs he said, and a hen with 5 new chicks wow! Things got shuffled around and I spent days building pens and shellters, I lost 3 of the easter eggers to predators, so my neighbor brought another box, 11 chicks, no hen this time, he said they wouldn't make it alone they were 2 weeks old. To top it off, the first hen laid 14 eggs and is now sitting on them...(I'm glad she stayed in the secure coop with them) Has anyone tallied up how many chickens I have now? I asked my neighbor how many chickens he has, and he said he has no idea, now I know why.
    We are finishing up the real coop now it's 8' by 8', and I'm trying to figure out how to organize it....
    I came across this web site reseaching and decided it would have great info...right now my biggest problem is how to keep them all safe from dusk to dawn. from predators and each other. I don't remember chickens being so interesting and now I'm scrambling to get ready for winter, so glad I just jumped in!
    So that's my story and since I have alot to learn I'm off to search for answers! All info is appreaciated

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! Glad your chickens have brought you and your family so much joy! [​IMG] Best of luck with the coop!

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Greetings from South Carolina! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here.

6. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Greetings from South Carolina! [​IMG] Hope you enjoy it here.

7. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello and welcome from OHIO! Sounds like you're loving those chickens! How many ya got now? [​IMG]

When somebody asks me that, I start with "Well, then I'm counting on my fingers!"

Take care and glad you joined,
    Sharon

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! Our chicks lived inside for the first 2 months.[​IMG]. They come in and stay inside when the weather is dreadfully hot. We don't mind. Our chicks like tv too, as long as they sit on a towel.[​IMG]. It's nice to meet you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by