1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken mom and worming?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SilkieTime, Nov 27, 2009.

1. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    I have silkies and EE's. Did all the reading for worming. Two weeks ago started my chickens in Wazine 17 at the same time I got a new silkie hen that was just given Valbazen. This is now two weeks later and I'm going to give pour-on ivermectin to all my chickens. I'm wondering about the new hen should she get this as well? I only want the best for her and don't know to give it to her or not. I don't know about Valbazen and how that works. I'm very found of her and only want to do the right think.
    Please help. I don't know what the right thing is. She is not sick or anything.

I would also like to know when I de-worm in 6 mos. do I use ivermectin just one time or again 2 weeks later.
    Still need help.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Still need help. Please

3. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I don't worm my chickens, havent needed to. But I worm my other livestock- I would read the label, or search google. If the time frame has been long enough and there are no warnings about mixing the meds, go ahead and put her on the same schedule as the rest- it will just be easier that way.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    You should probably do the double worming each time. I've never heard of Valbazen. Ask dlunicorn. She's really knows alot about parasites.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Valbazen is albendazole, a broad spectrum cattle/sheep wormer. It's effective against liver flukes, tapeworms, stomach worms, intestinal worms and lungworms.
    You give 1/2 cc orally, undiluted for standard sized birds; 1/4 cc for bantams.
    I wouldn't re-worm the new hen unless I was seeing live worms in her stools. Just MHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by