1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chicken mom from Council Bluffs IA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by New ChikInn Mom, Mar 20, 2012.

1. New ChikInn Mom

New ChikInn Mom New Egg

Mar 20, 2012
    [​IMG] Hello, I had been researching the whole 'backyard chicken' thing ever since I read an article about the benefits. We finally commited and purchased a coop and last Friday got 3 chicks. I cant remember the last time I was so excited, probably when I had my own baby!!!
    [​IMG] So with my husband and daughter each picking a chick, we ended up with a Rhode Island Red (2 weeks old), a Golden Laced Wyandotte, (1 and 1/2 weeks old) and my Americauna (1 week old). So far they are doing very well and are growing their feathers in quickly. I'm amazed at how fast it happens!
    [​IMG]One of them (the Golden Laced) has taken to my husband and is already spoiled. She chirped so loud for so long that I thought something was wrong only to find out she wants him! And like a new chicken daddy, he scoops her up and is now following him everywhere!
    [​IMG] I am not sure its a good thing, cuz I did the same to my daughter as an infant and now 6 years later I cant get her to sleep in her own bed!
    [​IMG] I guess the only thing I have to ask is, with the whole spoiling thing, when/ or how much mealworms should they be consuming and whether or not they need grit with it. My husband aIready has given them (his especially) mealworms, and I am not sure if they are ready for it , or if they are consuming TOO much! One of them, (Not sure who) has diarrhea and I figured its from the mealworms, cuz we only handle them for 10 minutes at most maybe 4-5 times a day, before putting them back to stay warm and rest.
    [​IMG] I am very thankful for this site, as it has already answered so many other questions that I needed answers to. Thanks in advance on any advice you can share! I am glad to be here!

2. Qurus

Qurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Donna, Texas
    [​IMG]

Sorry I can't help you with the mealworms question. I don't give em to my chicks. I'm sure someone will be along that knows. Anyway, congrats on the new chicks.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    welcome to BYC from northern michigan :D

They should eat primarily a balanced chick ration. Too many mealworms = too much protein.

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Hello and Welcome from another Iowan! I don't usually give mealworms to my baby chicks. It won't hurt them but I just focus on regular feed until they are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by