New chicken mom here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harleydee, Mar 21, 2017.

1. harleydee

harleydee Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm Harley from north Alabama. I've been lurking on this site for a couple of years now, waiting until we were ready to actually get our coop going. Well I think the time is finally here!
    I've been trying to do my research, but just wondered if there's any you-definitely-need-to-know-this advice you all would have for me before we get our chicks next week?
    We will be starting with maybe 4-5 SLW.

Thanks for any advice, and I look forward to being a part of this coop! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ChickenGuy512

ChickenGuy512 New Egg

Mar 17, 2017
    Welcome!
    By SLW I assume that's Silver Laced Wyandottes, in which case you ought to know that there are SO many different varieties in the Wayndottes, Silver Laced and Gold Laced may be the most common, but there are many other varieties. If you end up loving the Wyandottes, I suggest dabbling with a rooster and making your own crosses because they make some very cool crosses. Do a little playing around on this website: http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html and see what you can get in your crosses! Goodluck, you ought to love the Wyandottes. Keep the chicks warm with a heat lamp but allow an area that's not lit for them get away from the heat if they need to. Fresh water and feed and an occasional boost of electrolytes can help their energy.

Goodluck!
    -Caleb

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Coop and run size, bigger is better. Minimum of 4 s.f. in coop, 10 s.f. in run per bird. Allow extra if you ever intend to integrate new birds.

Lots of ventilation in coop. Lots of natural lighting. Predator proof = 1/2" hardware cloth over all openings. No space that you could push a quarter through to prevent weasel entry.

Allow enough height to accommodate deep litter in the coop. (If possible, a soil floor with good drainage, and a skirt surrounding the coop allows for a completely natural composting deep litter that is essentially maintenance free and goes far to ensuring good health of your flock.

Deep litter in the run once the birds have stripped it of vegetation.

Chicken wire keeps chickens in. It does not keep predators out.

Consider heating pad cave brooding.

Consider fermented feed.

Have fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by