New chicken mom here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brwneyedsue, Mar 30, 2015.

1. brwneyedsue

brwneyedsue New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Hi all, I am a new chick mom. I have a set of 5 year old twins girls who are helping me start a flock at our home in town. We brought home 5 chicks last Tuesday and have fallen head over heels for them. 2 are buff orpingtons, 2 are barred rock and one is an adorable brown chic with eye liner and racing stripes. I was told at the farm store that they were 95% sure the chicks are pullets...but I have a really bad feeling that 3 of them are roosters. We are not sure what we'll do with roosters. If anyone lives close to Lincoln, NE...we will adopt them out happily. We are excited to have eggs, but the chickens will be pets and we won't be eating them, so eating our sweet little roosters isn't an option. :) What have you other town dwellers done when you have ended up with roosters you couldn't keep? Are there any chicks that I can be sure are hens? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    You can get sex linked or auto sexing chicken breeds. Then you would be sure that you got pullets. Also how old are your chicks? You should post their photos and we can tell you if they look like cockerels or not.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Sorry about the excess roosters. You can list them on Craigslist. You might check with your local feed store as they may know someone who wants them. They may even have a bulletin board you can advertise them on. Also, if you check with your local 4H, some of the students might be willing to take them. X2 on Odelia. If you want to be absolutely certain of getting all pullets, go with either sex linked chickens or an auto-sexing breed where the gender can be identified by color from hatching. My Black Sex Links are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck re-homing your roosters.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on your new chicks! If you want to be sure whether you have any cockerels, I suggest posting photos of them. We'll be happy to help.[​IMG]

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

10. Fern Valley 4H

Fern Valley 4H Out Of The Brooder

You may want to make sure they are cockerels before you give them away- I spent a good 10 weeks thinking one of my "pullets" was a boy, as I was going off physical traits but it turned out that she was just a hen with a large comb! Congrats on the new pets, though! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by