New chicken mom in Kansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by msjfrizzle, Jun 9, 2011.

1. msjfrizzle

msjfrizzle Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Wichita, Kansas
    I am brand new at raising chickens, and my first three girls are 9 weeks old. Two are Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and I have no idea what the third one is. She's bigger and has a single comb, gray feathers, blue/gray feet, and red ears. When they were only about 2 weeks old, they were helping me weed the garden. When the sun started to set, they started making a strange sound, so I sat down on the grass near them. They promptly climbed into my lap and settled down to sleep. I was amazed, and utterly delighted. They'll do it every evening if I'm outside with them.

I 'inherited' an incubator from a fellow teacher, and since I was having so much fun with the first three chicks, I got 6 Black Copper Marans eggs on Ebay. Only one hatched, unfortunately, but it's a feisty little critter that follows me around the yard at the ripe old age of 9 days. Based on what I've been reading here, I think it's a pullet, but we'll have to wait and see. Right now it looks like a Hobbit penguin, so I named it Merry (think Pippin, Frodo...)

I discovered BYC while searching for coop ideas, and the wealth of information has been extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this treasure!! I keep coming back, and always find answers to my 'beginner' questions about all kinds of chicken things.

When I'm not playing with the chicks, I tend an expanding vegetable garden, play the bodhran (Irish drum) and sing in a Celtic band, and enjoy a variety of visual arts- pottery, watercolor, basketry, calligraphy, silver-smithing, needle arts, etc. I also teach various art forms at my church's youth camps. I have a life-long interest in herpetology, and do some volunteer work with a local nature center. I've been catchin' frogs and tadpoles for over half a century!!

During the school year I teach elementary gifted students at an environmental magnet school. Our motto is "No Child Left Indoors". Really!! Camping is also part of our curriculum. I have three grown kids; the youngest is 21 and living at home while he finishes college. My daughter is an architectural engineer, and she approved my chicken coop plans. The eldest son is trying to decide what he's going to be when he grows up.

I've finally decided I'm going to be retired when I grow up, so I'll have more time for the fun stuff. I'll also have more chickens. I'm hooked!!!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG] I'm glad you found us! [​IMG]

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG]

4. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

5. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from another Kansan. Hmmm...what is it with BCM eggs then? I won an auction for 8 earlier this year and the seller sent 11 but only one of mine hatched too. I was fortunate that it happened during chick days so I was able to get a couple of companions for my otherwise lonely chick. Mine has turned out to be a girl (so I can brag that 100% of my hatch was female. Ummmm.....maybe not [​IMG] ) and hopefully yours will too.

8. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Pennsylvania!

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City