New chicken mom in VT

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joseevt48, Apr 17, 2016.

1. joseevt48

joseevt48 New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    Hi all! I am in South Burlington VT surrounded by farmland. I am new to taking care of chicken. I have 6 8 week old chicks currently residing in the garage in their coop. I am nervous about transitioning them to the outside world! Free range? Electric fence? Fully endosed pen? Rooster or not? Hawks, coyotes, raccoons, what's a chicken mom to do? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome from another Vermonter! You're not too far from me at all, I'm in Fair Haven :) You should come join us in the VT thread, there's a link in my signature.

As for putting them outside, I free range mine when I'm home, but otherwise they have a nice big run that they stay in. I'm moving to an electric netting setup in a month or so for even more protection. My run isn't covered and I have lost a few to a hawk. If you decide to free range you will almost definitely lose some to predators, but in my mind it's about quality of life over quantity and the risk is worth it. I also keep roosters, geese, and guineas, and they all help reduce losses.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kateluvchickans

Kateluvchickans Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    Go waterbury Vt!
    I am from VT too![​IMG]

4. Kateluvchickans

Kateluvchickans Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    Go waterbury Vt!
    Hey Pixis, I saw that you keep roosters. Im from Waterbury VT and I am hatching chicks at the moment. I Have a home for all the hens, but am worried if ones a rooster. Let me know if you know anybody that could take them, or if you have room for one more[​IMG]

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

You both should come say hello in the VT thread :) It's not very active because we don't have a lot of participants so we'd love to see you in there!

6. joseevt48

joseevt48 New Egg

Apr 17, 2016
    Would love to join the VT thread! Explain to me how to do it! I have electric netting already but it is still in the box. I don't want to build Fort Knox but I would like to avoid losing chicken since I have an 8 year old son who has already gotten attached to them... Will try the electric netting with some hawk deterrent device and we shall see! If only my three rescued hounds could help... Or perhaps I could get a rooster?

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

If you need a rooster I'll certainly be able to give you one later in the year - my hens are hatching full swing and I'll definitely have some cockerels :) To join the VT thread just come on over to this link and introduce yourself: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39326/vermont

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Hope your dogs aren't hungry for chickens.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by