New chicken mom- never thought I could love these fuzzy butts so much!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by katydidit, Apr 1, 2011.

1. katydidit

katydidit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    All my life I've wanted chickens. I grew up in the city, and my parents never went for it. Got married after living in an apartment (obviously cant have chickens there...) and moved into an HOA neighborhood off the golfcourse, bleh. I wanted my 20 acres with a vegetable garden and livestock... but I cant complain.

Ive been begging my husband for years, and finally, I got a hold of the HOA bylaws, and there is NOTHING that specifically says "no poultry" (yay!). So Wednesday, yep, 2 days ago, we went off to the feedstore and picked out 4 chicks. 2 EEs (Peggy and Wendy), a BA (Lucy) and a Delaware (Delilah). Put them into their brooder, and all my husband could say was- "they smell, and poop too much", hahaha. Needless to say, I caught him an hour later sneaking into the garage talking baby talk to them [​IMG]

I've gone out there every couple hours since, and picked each up to try to get them aquainted with me. They peeped, and were definitely not like a baby puppy or kitten, didn't want to cuddle. Today however, I set up an area in the bedroom with a blanket, and turned on a movie and brought them in with me. Lucy, the BA flew up to my shoulder, and fell asleep!! The other three fought over who could get closest to me, and now I have to say, I am IN LOVE with my fuzzy butts! They now peep louder and louder every time I go into the garage. And instead of running away from my hand in the brooder, they all come running to me [​IMG]

I now understand why all of you here are so mad about chickens! I'm in love, and have to say, its about darn time I got into this whole chicken thing [​IMG]))

2. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    I'm so glad you finally got your chickens! I'd love to let mine explore the house but the cats wouldn't be too happy. I have them in the basement and have to go talk to them every hour or so. They are just fascinatingly cute! Welcome to chicken addiction!

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Congrats on the new chicklets! They are so cute. But I have to warn you, they grow faster then you think! Mine are 4 weeks old and have feathers and are getting combs! Soon they are going to be off to college. So sad... [​IMG]

Oh and [​IMG]

4. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    First off:[​IMG]

Second, I can't help but wonder....when we are gonna see you move to that house in the country! LOL!!

I know, litte fuzzies are pretty irisistable! One or four or heck *gets out calculator* 73 is never enough!!! Now we just have to teach you chicken math and you'll be set!!
    Enjoy your new babies!!

5. katydidit

katydidit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    We've actually been saving, saving, saving to move out to the country. Unfortunately, we live in California, and its NOT cheap here to get any sort of land. DH gave into chickens in part for us not getting a piece of land that we've been looking at for 6 months now [​IMG]

And I'm fully aware of chicken math already...kind of depressing that city law states that only 4 hens per household are permitted!! I cant imagine not having chicks every spring, lol. Its that much more motivation to get our lil piece of countryside! We have a friend in the mountains with a beautiful barn coop, and over 50 hens! She is mostly responsible for my obsession...

Its crazy how fast they grow, we've had them for 3 days almost and I can already tell a HUGE difference. Tomorrow will be the fun day... we're going to lowes to pick up materials for the coop I've designed [​IMG] (thank you all for having an amazing gallery of your coops here, its been a lifesaver!). Any suggestions for a coop must have? I know i should post this in the coop section, but for those of you reading, any MUST HAVE factors in coop design? I'm already planning on an external access nest box and a manure box beneath their perch. Thank you so much for all the encouragement! I'm happy as a clam!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by