New chicken mom (posted but just introducing myself)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rita77, Aug 27, 2016.

1. rita77

rita77 Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Hi all!
    What an excellent site packed full of information and friendship! I found this website when I had my first chick problem. I read a lot before becoming a member to post. It's so nice to have such a large group of like minded people who understand my chicken obsession.
    I call my coop the "Island of the Misfits". My son blessed my coop and flock with that name in passing one day and I loved it! In my coop I have the following:
    Hope the Cuckoo Maran, my first hen.
    Stormy the Buff Polish
    Baby Girl the Bantam Cochin
    Joey D (my only Roo) and his wife Norma Jean the Belgiun D'uccle's
    and last but not least Peanut the unknown breed.
    I foolishly thought that I could keep Hope as a pet without any other coop mates. Once I had her and started my research, I realized that she wouldn't be happy being a lone pet chicken. So off to the farm I went to pick friends for her. That's where I got Stormy and BabyGirl. I figured having 3 was good because I would have a backup if anything happened to one of them, there would still be a pair to keep each other company. So as they were growing in the brooder I started to work on a small coop. Then I saw an ad for 2 hen chicks for free and decided, why not? I'll add them to my flock, they're small. Plans for the small coop was tossed and I set to work on a larger one. I went to a local store for a couple of supplies and saw this older chick in with days old chicks. I asked why it was in with the tiny ones and was told that she couldn't be sold because she was born with deformities and she was to be culled that evening. Needless to say, Peanut is the last addition to my flock. My coop is done, the run is almost complete and my flock free ranges during the day. They go to the coop in the evening and wait for me to lock them up. I tried to build a fortress type coop because we get raccoons around here. Turns out, one of the free hens is a Roo. I decided to keep him because they're a small breed and he does a good job keeping watch on the girls, although Norma Jean is his main priority. I love my flock and their different personalities. I spend as much time as I can with them. I go out and sit in the yard and let them come to me for attention. They love me the most when I have their favorite treat!
    Anyway, thanks to everyone here for so much helpful information! Being new to chickens, your website and members have been invaluable to me!
    Thank you!
    Rita

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Happy you have found a home at BYC. Best wishes! :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. Mortenson1987

Mortenson1987 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Albany, IL
    Welcome to BYC, I am still pretty new to the site and have found it to be very helpful and informative. If I have any questions I can always find the answers here!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Rita, nice to meet you. Love your introduction and philosophy. I'm sure you flock feel well cared for and secure in their surroundings. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by