New Chicken Mom Thrilled to Be Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ConPollos, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    Hi from northeast OK! :) I've adopted six Golden Comet chicks from TSC in the 1st week of March and I'm so happy and excited to be learning, especially by reading here at BYC.

I have a shed under an oak tree 20 feet from my house that I'm converting into a coop. I'd like to build a Pheasant Flight Pen onto it so my sweeties will have lots of room.

When I sit near the brooder they take turns hopping onto the edge so they can be right up close to my face, and they love to be petted. I Googled a list of comets, so I'll name each one after a comet.

Since I rescue dogs I'm looking forward to cutting down my dog food bill by feeding them a daily egg with baked potato or rice, plus veggies and vitamin, for breakfast.

I'm going to need six more Golden Comets, and I've ordered a dozen Easter Eggers for May. And of course I have to get some Olive Eggers too! If I can afford it, ever, I'd love to make the two hour drive to Little Peddlers and get some Black Copper Marans too. Wow, what have I gotten myself into!? I'm so fortunate to have your wonderful community to share my new chicken obsession with!

2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Glad you decided to join. There is tons of information on here, so I'm sure you'll find answers to all your questions. Sounds like you are enjoying your chicken adventure! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you :) I love your MF! So pretty! Here are my feather kids: [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It's sounds like the chicken math is taking over all ready!! Flocks can grow so unexpectedly, I know mine certainly did. Having super friendly chickens is fantastic mine love to be petted and to sit on my knee. I also have a couple pirate parrot ones that like shoulders!!

Wishing you the very best of luck with this new venture. I am sure it will bring you much enjoyment.
    Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015
    Thank you so much for welcoming me and my flock. :) I uploaded a pic, which will hopefully post soon. Gosh, there are so many cute accessories and stuff to buy!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015
    FRENCH TOAST!!! Lol I just realized how much better it's going to taste with my own eggs. I've never even had a real egg before.

I love to make my own organic ice cream, so it's going to be divine! And, I hope to make Tortilla de Espanola everyday for lunch with my eggs too. Hurry up girls!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh did you say ice cream?? I'll be right over. Welcome to Backyard chickens. All the breeds you mentioned sound great - the more the merrier. We will never tell you, you have too many chickens. So go wild with it[​IMG]

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

It sounds like you're really enjoying your chicks! Like many of us, you seem to have fallen prey to "chicken math," too. [​IMG]

10. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015
    Diva, I bought the most awesome ice cream maker on sale at Wal-Mart! It beats all the name brand gourmet ice creams

I'm hoping that parking my chicken tractor over the area around my unproductive pecan tree will fertilize it enough to make it bear pecans. Then I can make chicken egg and chicken fertilized pecan ice cream. If so, it will save me a lot of money. It's amazing how useful chickens can be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by