1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken mom with questions about chicks and winter coop temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovemychicns, Oct 22, 2008.

1. lovemychicns

lovemychicns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I live in Mt. Airy, Maryland. This is the first winter I have had chickens and chicks. I was wondering how many don't use any heat in the coop. I have insulated my coop with reflextix foil/bubble insulation and it seems to stay pretty comfortable so far but it's only October. How do I acclimate my chicks to the winter temps in the coop once they feather out. I have 4, eight week olds, and one 7 wk old in there now and she is doing fine but she was introduced to her new home in September when it was still warm. I still worry about her. I have two, 2 week olds and more hatching between next week through the middle of November. I keep them in my livingroom with a heat lamp I have started to turn off now during the day since the heat is on in the house. I turn it on for a little while in the evening. I am worried about how they will do in the coop. The coop is a pretty good walk from my house so I did not want to put a heat light out there unless necessary due fire hazards.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I'm sorry I cant help much, because I live in California, and even though it snow a teeny bit here sometimes, it's never too harsh. It would depend on the coldest overnight temps and the maturity of your birds. If your coop is draft free, and your birds are mature enough, they may be okay. Read up about the "Deep Litter" method, for the young ones, which I've heard some support as being insulating and keeping them warmer.
    I've used heat lamps occasionally in some of our colder periods, even here though. But some of my coops are drafty, and non-insulated. I like to give some of them a break from the chill by having a warm overhead option.

They do have nice down coats on, if they're old enough!

Hopefully, someone from your area, or more knowledgeable, will chime in soon!

Good luck,
    Tina/tfpets

3. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Howdy, neighbor! You're just about an hour from me over here in Boyds.
    What I'm planning on doing is waiting until mine get pretty big and then give them days outside for a while, then just leave them out there with a lot of extra hay. Or I might just open the windows one night in their room and see how they do. But I'd just gradually expose them for a while, and if it gets down there take them in or put in a heat lamp. My adult chickens haven't ever died from the cold, and they've been through many Maryland winters, even when there was some draft. Complete with ice storms!
    Btw, you don't happen to want a Welsummer rooster, or know anyone who does? He's friendly. [​IMG]
    Chelsea

4. lovemychicns

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Hi back at you

Thanks for the great info. I will ask around about your rooster. Right now I have a bator full of Giant Jersey's, Orps, and BR. I plan on getting some LBrahmas in the spring so I am afraid I am full. We should meet sometime and talk chickens.

Hugs

5. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Oh, please do ask around. I can't really do anything with him, but I can't hatch any or get some SR bantams next year until he's gone. We can't eat him either, 'cause my mom and I are vegetarians. If we didn't already have giant meany Lollipop, the sex-link from.. Down there, then I'd just stick him in the big girl's pen. But we do. [​IMG]
    If you ever have any other questions, I might be able to help. I've had chickens for seven years now. [​IMG]

6. lovemychicns

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    Thank you. It's nice to have a fellow chickenier nearby

7. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    I do not have heating for my coop and our English winters can be very cold.

8. sflem1

sflem1 New Egg

Aug 6, 2009
    Mount Airy
    Hi I also live in Mt. Airy and just got some Nankin Bantams last spring. I see this post was from 2008 and was wondering how last years winter went? We have been worried about what to do as the temps. fall. It sounds to me that we do not have to worry about the cold. We have a nice Amish built Chicken Coop with a fenced in run with roof. We do shut the door each night and now that its cooler, have been shutting the windows. Plus if anyone wants a Nankin Bantam Rooster I have a few extras [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by