1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chicken Mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Patriciaallison, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Patriciaallison

Patriciaallison Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Edgerton kansas
    Hello fellow chicken farmers. I am new to chicken raising I moved to a farm with a huge coop with 60 boxes in it and room for more. I bought six chicks at Easter time three americannas one black cooper muran and two random "I don't knows" now I want more! I want 20 black cooper muran hens. I live in Edgerton Kansas and would like to find bird close to me. Also I am wondering if I can keep my ducks goose and Guineas in the coop with my chicks?
    Thanks for reading
    P

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. 60 nesting boxes? goodness me, I'd have heart failure if i thought about how many chickens i could get in such a place [​IMG]

I hope other members will be able to advise re: mixing poultry / fowl - never done it.

The Learning Centre is a great resource, even for experienced poultry keepers - loads of info on anything poultry. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

All the best
    CT

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful Learning Center [​IMG]

Marans is a place in France so if you only have one Marans it is still Marans and if you join the Marans Trend people will jump all over you so please keep it in mind [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The key to having many different creatures together is to have plenty of feed & water and space for all to roam [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Different sizes work well [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. Patriciaallison

Apr 9, 2016
    Edgerton kansas
    I will keep that in mind my rooster is a marans got it! Thanks for the schooling. Good to know about the food and water also. My goose is a big daddy and takes good car of the baby ducks so I am hoping if I put all the birds together he will daddy them all. The Guineas and chick are still small and inside but need more room so I moving them this weekend. I am making two waters today and leaving the water bowl out. Will the chicks be ok with the water bowl? I will also have three feeders. And add one more feeder for good measure. What do you think?

5. Foghorn754

Foghorn754 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Fallbrook Ontario Canada

6. Foghorn754

Foghorn754 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Fallbrook Ontario Canada
    Hi, New Chicken lover here... Bought 6 chicks on Friday and coop today. I'm pretty excited and happy to see this site! Thanks for all the great info!!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually 1 nest box for every 3 hens is probably more than ample. Hens tend to want the same nest box even if they are identical. Sometimes they will wait in line until they have the chance to get in. Other times an impatient hen will just lay an egg on top of the present occupant. That's chickens for you [​IMG]. The problem with ducks and chickens is, ducks love to be wet and make everything else wet and icky. Chickens don't like being wet /cold. Plus male ducks sometimes decide to breed(chicken) hens. Duck anatomy is much different, and they can kill a hen trying to mate her.

8. Patriciaallison

Apr 9, 2016
    Edgerton kansas
    Ahh thank you for letting me know that. I will be setting up a duck home. I have three ponds should I set it up close to one of my ponds? Or close to the house? I read a web site that suggested making a house on a raft and tieing it out in the middle of the pond for them to live in. Do they live in the same kind of coops as chickens?

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. Patriciaallison

Apr 9, 2016
    Edgerton kansas
    Thank you glad to be here loving this site and loving my birds I can't wait to harvest my first eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by