NEW CHICKEN MOM

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by country girl44, Jun 13, 2016.

1. country girl44

country girl44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2016
    Country Side
    Hello everyone, and looking forward to getting to know you. I'm VERY new to the chicken world, and so far I am enjoying it very much. I have wonderful photos I will be sharing in time once I get use to this wonderful site. right now I just want to say, i'm looking forward to all the help I know I will be getting from each and every one of you. I work a full time job so please bear with me if it takes me a few days to answer back, but I will make some time during the early morning, and late evening to jump on here and keep in touch. Since I am new to the chicken world, I will be asking tons of questions so get ready.

I have 6 chickens right now, waiting for 2 more coming some time this month. right now I have

2 Barred rock
    2 production reds
    2 rock cross columbian

I'm waiting for 2 Rhode Island reds.

I have had my chic's since they were 5 days old and they are now 1 month old and have now moved outside into there lovely coop, that my husband and I have work hard in building, to make sure they are safe, warm and happy. My biggest concern now is, if there's a ROOSTER in my HEN house. I've been doing a lot of internet searching and from everything I have read, I think I have 1 rooster, but I need to make sure, because I already found him a home, but if it is not a rooster, then she can stay.

I love animals and thought to myself that raising chickens was going to be fun, and so far I am having a blast. looking forward to chatting with everyone, and hopefully getting answers soon before my chic leaves.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You certainly have come to the right place for all the fun and learning! We are just bursting at the seams with help and knowledge.

Sounds you have a lovely flock. Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping your new flock happy and healthy....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for your suspected cockerel....one month might still be a bit early to make a guess on the sex of this bird. Many pullets mature up early. I had one that did and everyone tried to convince me she was a he...nope...she was a SHE! LOL Anyway, once they have aged a bit, you might post pics in our What Breed and Gender section of the forums for more help.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy all those babies! They sure grow fast. Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have.

And we do welcome you to our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congrats on getting your new chicken adventures started :celebrate They sure are lots of fun to raise and very rewarding too. TwoCrows has heft you some great links to check out, please do take advantage of them.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. country girl44

Jun 13, 2016
    Country Side
    [​IMG]Thank you TwoCrows for the helpful links, I will be sure to check them out. and thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

1 person likes this.
  6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

7. RingosGarden

RingosGarden Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2016
    Mound House, NV
    Welcome to BYC! My husband and I recently built our own coop as well, I can't wait to see our babies in it!! Good luck to you both!!
    [​IMG]

8. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC! And good luck with your new chickies. I hope your suspected male is really a girly.

1 person likes this.
  9. country girl44

Jun 13, 2016
    Country Side
    Me too, laureltree

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by