New chicken mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Freespiritjodi, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Freespiritjodi

Freespiritjodi New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    Hi! This is my first year raising chickens. I have 3 barred rocks, 2 golden comets and 1 Rhode Island red. They are not yet old enough to lay eggs. So far they all get along and I'm looking forward to my first egg! I followed BYC ON Facebook and decided to join so I can learn what's good for my girls!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey freespiritjodi! I can tell you from experience that Rhode Island Reds are great breeds to own. My Rhode Island Red is very fun and nice and loves to get picked up. The Barred Rocks can be a little restless, but they lay better eggs in my opinion than Rhode Island Red.
    Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates All the best of luck to you and your flock!
    Justin [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hello freespiritjodi; This is my first flock as well. Glad you are here at BYC, I find the members here very generous with their time and advice. BYC is a great on-line community and a terrific resource. My birds are six weeks old and are loving their chicken run. I dumped a heap of grass clippings and garden weeds in this morning. It has been lots of fun for them to peck and scatter about, and for us to watch.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Lovely breeds you have there! Those first eggs sure can seem to take an age to arrive!! It is so exciting when you find that first little treasure in the nest box though :D

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new flock in the future. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help you along the way. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

6. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, that first egg is so EGG-citing!! Even the chicken that lays it will be excited! Ha!

Great to have you aboard and I hope those eggs start coming soon! Welcome to our roost! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by