New Chicken Mom!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kseibel05, Apr 20, 2017.

1. kseibel05

kseibel05 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Hello all! I'm so excited to be a new chicken mom! I have 3 White Leghorns and 3 ISA Browns growing nicely in my brooder. It's almost time to get them in their coop...if I had one! My friend is going to build one for me but I can't seem to decide on a design lol. I know the coop needs to be AT LEAST 24 square feet (4' per bird with 6 birds) and the run AT LEAST 60 square feet (10' per bird with 6 birds). I own a dog kennel and grooming business, so them being free-range is probably out of the question, hence the "at least" square footage.

LONG STORY SHORT (lol): Do you prefer walk-in coops with human sized doors? Or raised coops with smaller doors for cleaning?

2. KuneKune

KuneKune Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    Permanent coops should be human size movable chicken size.

1 person likes this.
  3. KuneKune

KuneKune Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Franklin, Georgia
    :welcome

4. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Ideally?

You should be able to step right out of your living room
    into your coop. Full size doors, windows.

The ideal coop is part of your house.

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kseibel05, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Since you asked, I prefer to be able to get inside the coop when I need to so I prefer I large door. Also, make sure you visit the Learning Center for lots of informative articles on all aspects of chicken keeping! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    And I'm not sure where you reside but you can visit your state thread in the link below and say howdy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    My coop is not walk in at all and its hard to do anything. My run my son is in the middle of building is walk in so I can clean up and inter act with the chicks. So walk in is so much better.

1 person likes this.
  7. kseibel05

kseibel05 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2017
    New Hampshire
    Wouldn't that be nice! I can't do that, but I will definitely have full-sized windows and doors. Thank you!

8. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Full doors is a must, unless you like having an achy back!
    Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kseibel05 [​IMG] Welcome!

I have a raised coop but for ease of cleaning, the floor slides out. With the floor out, if I need to, I can duck under and stand up in the coop. I have a human sized door on the covered run.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member [I think you will fit right in]. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by