New chicken mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Erena, May 4, 2017.

1. Erena

Erena Just Hatched

May 3, 2017
    Hi everyone I just started my first time raising chickens. So far I have 5 buff orpingtons not sure the sex but looks like all girls I got them from TCS on 2-23-17 they were little but not sure how old. At that same time I also got 4 Ameraucana or Easter Eggers or araucanas can't tell the sex yet or how old they are. My second batch we got 6 Rhode Island March 21st again they were very small but I don't know how many days old so not sure the age or sex. My third batch I got 3 what I was told silkies but they don't look like them to me and I got them 4-27-17 they are still small and 3 other breeds. Yesterday I got 2 black silkies chicks from a friend.

I also got 3 Campbell's ducks on 4-27-17 not sure the age or sex. They are very scared of me. :(

So my question is if I post a picture of my chickens can someone help me with age and breed and sex?

I am very excited to learn more about being chicken mom.

2. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Hi Erena,

Welcome to BYC. The Buff Orpingtons and the Easter Eggers yes they can tell if they will be male or female at 10 weeks. As for the RIR at 6 weeks if you post pictures they maybe able to tell you. Usually 6 weeks or older if you post they will try telling you if they are male or females. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this They silkies and the other unknown ones are just to young wait till they are about 6 weeks and then post there pictures also. Best of luck on your new flock.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have the most appropriate link already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Erena [​IMG] Welcome!

I see you have posted on the Breed & Gender Forum so I will just wish you all the best.

BYC has a Duck Forum if you have any duck specific questions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Erena, it's very nice to meet you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by