New Chicken Mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Savy Lyn's Farmhouse, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Savy Lyn's Farmhouse

Savy Lyn's Farmhouse Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2017
    Lakewood, California
    Hi! I will be getting my chicks the week of July 5th. Lavender Orpington, Buff Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rock, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Blue Ameraucana. I ordered all females because I am not allowed roosters where I live.

I am getting everything I need for the brooder. My question is on the heat lamp/heat plate. Which is the best? How do I change the temp for when I start reducing it every week? How do I place it in the brooder, high/low?

Thank you so much!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    A heat lamp and plate are used differently so you need to decide which you will use first. I use a heat lamp with a 125 watt bulb. I set my initial temperature with a thermometer than raise my lamp a bit each week. Though brooding in July you may not need much extra heat.

3. Savy Lyn's Farmhouse

Jun 14, 2017
    Lakewood, California
    Ok thank you!

4. Dad

Dad Just Hatched

May 29, 2017
    I'm using red mulch for my brooder along with paper shavings. Should I be concerned about the chicks well being?

5. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    I don't have experience with the heat plate, too expensive for my taste. But the bulbs work well for me. I have used the 250W red bulbs, both with and without the dimmer switch - spring for the dimmer for sure! Put it up about 2' high, aimed down, and check the temp to be about 100F for the first few days, maybe a bit less. Then turn it down as time goes on. It's best to leave at least half the brooder outside of the light to give them a reprieve.

I suggest adding chick grit to their brooder in case they're eating the mulch or paper. I had a few chicks' growth stunted due to them eating bedding.

6. Savy Lyn's Farmhouse

Jun 14, 2017
    Lakewood, California
    Thank you so much! When you say turn it down (heat) do I just raise the heat lamp? I bought just a regular heat lamp/bulb at tractor supply.

7. KoopOnTruckin

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    Yes, in that case just raise it up a few inches. Make sure to gradually lower the temp, but also to make sure at least half the brooder doesn't have any heat.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    100 degrees can be a bit too hot, I recommend nothing higher than 90 degrees, so can a 250 watt bulb in my opinion. Raise the lamp to lower the temperature.

9. KoopOnTruckin

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    Yep, you're right, 100 F is too hot, not sure what I was thinking there... I typically do 95 first week, then drop by 5 degrees each week until I can just remove the lamp or move them outside. I must have been thinking about the temp of the incy for the first day or so until all chicks have hatched.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by