New chicken mom

acmyst17

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Hello! We just added 2 new chicks to the family. I'm a first-time chicken owner and to be honest, didn't do much research before committing to raising these babies. I'm excited to start this new endeavor and look forward to building a coop and adding to our growing family. I know that one of the chicks is a silkie, but I'm not 100% on the other (any input is welcome). Thanks for letting me join!
IMG-0934.JPG

G’Day from down under acmyst.. :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

Your babies are adorable! :love If you post some pictures of the black one on the Breed or Gender Forum folks there should be able to help you identify.

How old are they? Have you prepared yourself for the fact that they may not be girls? I do not want to be an alarmist, but that is a lot of red comb on one so young; but hey, too soon to tell yet.

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. Also, there is an active Silkie Thread.

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Welcome, acmyst17! Aww they are so cute! Okay, so I have to ask...how did you come to acquire these chickies? From your post, I get the feeling you saw them and it was love at first sight and you're hooked for life now? Just a hunch. Anyway, this is a great forum, so much info! Good look with your peeps! <3

~HenniesInMyHeart

Welcome, acmyst17! Aww they are so cute! Okay, so I have to ask...how did you come to acquire these chickies? From your post, I get the feeling you saw them and it was love at first sight and you're hooked for life now? Just a hunch. Anyway, this is a great forum, so much info! Good look with your peeps! <3

~HenniesInMyHeart

It pretty much was love at first sight. We were at a petting zoo and they were selling chicks 2 at a time. These 2 guys were huddled in a corner by themselves and my heart melted. I know it’s not the ideal way to get chickens. I’m just hoping they’re healthy and live forever, because I’m already smitten.

G’Day from down under acmyst.. :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

Your babies are adorable! :love If you post some pictures of the black one on the Breed or Gender Forum folks there should be able to help you identify.

How old are they? Have you prepared yourself for the fact that they may not be girls? I do not want to be an alarmist, but that is a lot of red comb on one so young; but hey, too soon to tell yet.

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has a Learning Centre and also Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. Also, there is an active Silkie Thread.

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the information links. I'll check them out! They were born on February 15th, so we're looking at 4 weeks. I was told that the chicks haven't been sexed and it's possible that they could be hens or roosters. I'll need to research and see what that would mean in regards to living arrangments lol. I still have a lot to learn and look forward to spending a lot of time here. :)

Back
Top Bottom